DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 12-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Hate a font? Why? Where?

In honor of our 18th anniversary, I figured we should have this sort of thread again.

So: Name a font you hate most and briefly explain why and in what context (print or screen; text or display; etc.).

Old 12-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
Susie

Without a doubt, Comic Sans. My co-worker uses it extensively, and I cringe everytime I see it in print. When I can sneak in on her documents, I will change the font. She is blissfully unaware of good typography!

Old 12-15-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Ban Comic Sans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie View Post
Without a doubt, Comic Sans. My co-worker uses it extensively, and I cringe everytime I see it in print. When I can sneak in on her documents, I will change the font. She is blissfully unaware of good typography!
I suspect that Comic Sans is the only font with a web site devoted to banning it. Here is the link, and their logo.

http://www.bancomicsans.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nocomicsans180x180.gif
Views:	48
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	1103  
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
Susie

Too funny! I'm glad to hear that someone wants to ban it!. If it wouldn't insult her, I'd be tempted to get a t-shirt and wear it <g>

Old 12-17-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
Benwiggy

Times and Helvetica. I've nothing against them personally; it's just their ubiquity and 'default-ness' I can't stand.

And Frutiger. Its proportions just make me cross.

And the ampersand in Rotis. Looks more like an Et ligature. Grrrr.

And the fact that Adobe insist on mis-placing the Swash R in Bembo where the standard capital should be, and make you pay for an Alt font if you want to have a complete capital set.

But don't get me started....
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:13 AM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Souvenir, because it basically doesn't work as either a display or a text face. And a few years ago I had a client whose logo required it. Which was (sort of) fine. But they insisted on using it for text as well. I did a major publication for them in 1998 and removed it from the text, which they failed to notice.

University Roman, because I hate the bloated characters, the 'R' in particular. Almost 100% of the jewellers in the major city closest to where I live seem to consider University Roman a requirement for their signage. Ugh!

Algerian, because of its indiscriminate use and lack of suitability for about 99.99999% of that use. It jumps off pages and signs and notices and web sites and wherever. I've racked my brain for a suitable use for this face, but have yet to find one.

So what about you, eh? Which faces do you hate?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
imatt

Any font which uses snowcap effects to show a "christmassy" or wintery look. Puh-leease!!!

Add Revue. Used to see it all the time in the 1990's. Also Cooper. Never have been able to use it succesfully.
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>I've racked my brain for a suitable use for this face, but have yet to find one.

Rack no more. It's a lovely choice if you have software that will substitute fonts for you. You get a document that needs some weirdo font that you don't have. You can't find any instances of it visually. Maybe it's just a space or something and it doesn't matter. Or maybe your system's substituted another font that looks reasonable but is wrong.

Algerian to the rescue. Have your software sub it for the mystery font. Anything that turns hideous ... why, that's the text you're after.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Optima.

Sorry, KT. I know you've heard this rant before. Turn away, turn away, while you can.

I love the look and find it very easy to read, unlike most true sans serif fonts.

But it annoys me that whenever a business or slogan or [whatever] has "optimum" in it, some idiot designer finds it necessary to use Optima. It seems to me that fonts should be chosen for reasons other than "it's a clever in-joke that other wankers like me will get".

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #10
Gerry Kowarsky

The fonts I hate these days are fonts that would not exist but for user ignorance. I'm talking about fonts that are smeared or obliqued by software when a user applies the bold, italic, or bold italic attribute to a font that lacks the variant called for. I am particularly irritated by any form of Tahoma other than regular and by the pseudobold-italic of Monotype Garamond. The regular, italic, and bold are bundled with Microsoft Office, but not the bold italic. Windows slants the bold, which looks terrible to my eyes.
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote