DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 12-09-2007, 01:16 AM   #1
Richard Waller

Default Mobile Cell developments.

The latest must-have phones seem to all combine: Filofax, TV, Cinema, text, internet, computer, video camera, photgraph album. I haven't seen one with Satnav but I am sure it is out there too.

But when my wife has a flat tyre in the pouring rain she is in a poor reception area to ring the AA on her plain ordinary cooking handset. Despite being in a busy town area, and with seven different mobile companies putting up aerials at every street corner.

Can't the seven companies get together and provide plain ordinary speech phone coverage, on a handset that my wife can slip in her pocket.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
curveto

Location: some room with white padded walls ... now surrounded by Saguaro Cacti

You're just supposed to press the OnStar button, aren't you?

(smashing the car into a tree works too)
curveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #3
Howard Allen

I feel your (and your wife's) pain. A couple years ago I heard or saw a piece on the news about an Israeli company that was going to produce a "kosher" cell phone for orthodox Jews. It would be plain black, have an on/off switch, a keypad with large, clearly numbered keys and it would send and receive voice calls only. Full stop.

When I heard this, I shouted "YES! I want one!" It's the cell phone I've always dreamed of, and I'm not even Jewish! Trouble is, I'd probably have to become a Jew and move to Israel to get one.

Apparently the reason (I learned from a pundit on the radio) such a phone isn't available to "the rest of us" is because the phone companies make almost no money on air time anymore, and they only profit from selling "add-on" features. Therefore, they'll never sell a voice-only phone that works everywhere.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Waller View Post
Can't the seven companies get together and provide plain ordinary speech phone coverage, on a handset that my wife can slip in her pocket.
You need a Basic Mobile.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
Howard Allen

Looks great. Too bad the only cell phone provider listed on that webpage that operates in Canada (Virgin) doesn't sell them here. Unfortunately, here in North America, we can't buy a phone and use it with any service provider, like you can across the pond. We're stuck with whatever few models the service provider chooses to give you: like it or lump it. And there's no way they're going to sell you a phone that only has voice capability.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

This is supposed to be the answer if "nice and simple" is the question:

http://www.jitterbug.com/

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:50 PM   #7
Richard Waller

Actually my complaint is the inefficient use of phone masts and the frequent black-spots. If people want to buy the latest Iphone they are quite welcome. Other people do tend to buy the latest toys, particularly at Christmas.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:33 AM   #8
dthomsen8

Default Simple Phone for Elderly

A long time ago I saw an article in the Wall Street Journal about a popular phone in Europe which was larger than the usual ones. It said that it was particularly popular with the elderly, who didn't want more than to be able to make and receive calls.

Our cell phone has more capabilities than we need, but we keep this 5 year old phone because upgrading will cost us about $10 more a month, plus requiring a new contract. We are "grandfathered" in an old contract at a lower rate, and I want to stay with it.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
A long time ago I saw an article in the Wall Street Journal about a popular phone in Europe which was larger than the usual ones. It said that it was particularly popular with the elderly, who didn't want more than to be able to make and receive calls.

Our cell phone has more capabilities than we need, but we keep this 5 year old phone because upgrading will cost us about $10 more a month, plus requiring a new contract. We are "grandfathered" in an old contract at a lower rate, and I want to stay with it.
Jack had one of those deals, but this year that told him he had to switch to a current arrangement and get a new phone, so he canceled.

I have seen ads for a very simple phone, with a funny name that I can’t remember. You sign up with the seller and pay either $10 or $15 a month, depending on plan. The phone is fairly large by today’s standards, and has no camera or other extra features. And I have no idea about its range.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #10
Richard Waller

I asked the shop for the simplest cell phone and they sold me a Sony Erricson T290i but it still has too many options. About £30 including a lot of pre-paid calls. Interestingly they asked me for all my personal details - name address, age, sex (yes please).