DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 11-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
Gerry Kowarsky

Default FontMarketplace Website

I recently chanced upon www.fontmarketplace.com. I don’t recall seeing it mentioned here before. The fonts available at this site are a large selection of the ones that can be purchased from Ascender Corporation at www.ascendercorp.com. The difference is that the organization and pricing at www.fontmarketplace.com seem to be targeted at nonprofessional users. People who don’t already know a lot about type will find plenty of help in identifying fonts appropriate for a specific use or occasion. Licensing is for one user as opposed to five on www.ascendercorp.com. The typical FontMarketplace prices are $4.99 for a single font and $17.99 for a family of four. One interesting family available at these prices is Nina, a Matthew Carter sans serif design that is similar to Tahoma and Verdana but more condensed. There are several collections with fonts, templates, and tools for a specific application. For example, the Ascender Resume Kit offers 12 fonts, 24 Microsoft Word templates, and resume writing tips for $14.99. The fonts are in three families of four: Ascender Serif, which has the same metrics as Times New Roman, and Michael Harvey’s Ellington and Strayhorn, a related serif and sans serif pair.
Gerry Kowarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
dthomsen8

Default Very reasonable prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Kowarsky View Post
I recently chanced upon www.fontmarketplace.com. I don’t recall seeing it mentioned here before. The fonts available at this site are a large selection of the ones that can be purchased from Ascender Corporation at www.ascendercorp.com. The difference is that the organization and pricing at www.fontmarketplace.com seem to be targeted at nonprofessional users. People who don’t already know a lot about type will find plenty of help in identifying fonts appropriate for a specific use or occasion. Licensing is for one user as opposed to five on www.ascendercorp.com. The typical FontMarketplace prices are $4.99 for a single font and $17.99 for a family of four. One interesting family available at these prices is Nina, a Matthew Carter sans serif design that is similar to Tahoma and Verdana but more condensed. There are several collections with fonts, templates, and tools for a specific application. For example, the Ascender Resume Kit offers 12 fonts, 24 Microsoft Word templates, and resume writing tips for $14.99. The fonts are in three families of four: Ascender Serif, which has the same metrics as Times New Roman, and Michael Harvey’s Ellington and Strayhorn, a related serif and sans serif pair.
Yes, this site has some very reasonable prices, and for fonts that I might actually need. I do have lots of free fonts, many of which are not likely for me to actually use.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Thanks, Gerry. Good to know about FontMarketplace. Interesting, isn’t it?

I am tempted by Nina myself; I like Verdana, and wanted Nina, but not enough to pay for the standard 5-seat license.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
Gerry Kowarsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Thanks, Gerry. Good to know about FontMarketplace. Interesting, isn’t it?

I am tempted by Nina myself; I like Verdana, and wanted Nina, but not enough to pay for the standard 5-seat license.
Very interesting. I gave into temptation for Nina and also for Andale Mono, which is only $4.99 for the full four-font family. I may opt for the Resume and Business Card Kits, too.

I applaud Ascender for coming up with an appealing, innovative way to market its fonts. Not everyone knows what they want or how to use it. FontMarketplace can help them.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
Michael Rowley

Gerry:

Quote:
I applaud Ascender for coming up with an appealing, innovative way to market its fonts
I noticed that not all (or possibly, none) of the fonts were being offered as OpenType; I wonder if if that is the difference between those fonts offered for professional use and those offered for personal use. If so, it's a good idea, as you may be indifferent to the extended character sets of most OpenType fonts, and would not want to use them for different OSs.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Gerry Kowarsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Yes, this site has some very reasonable prices, and for fonts that I might actually need. I do have lots of free fonts, many of which are not likely for me to actually use.
I think Ascender deserves a lot of credit for what it has done.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
Gerry Kowarsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Gerry:

I noticed that not all (or possibly, none) of the fonts were being offered as OpenType; I wonder if if that is the difference between those fonts offered for professional use and those offered for personal use. If so, it's a good idea, as you may be indifferent to the extended character sets of most OpenType fonts, and would not want to use them for different OSs.
I wondered about this, too, because FontMarketplace offers two download options labelled "PC" and "Mac/Other." An OpenType file would work on both platforms.

The readme file with Nina allayed my concerns. It states: "The FontMarketplace offers only authentic, high quality fonts that have been thoroughly tested to meet the OpenType® font specification."

The reason for having separate downloads for the PC and the Mac is also explained in the readme file. The PC package is an executable file that installs the fonts automatically. The Mac package is a zip file that can be opened on Windows as well as on the Mac OS and Linux.

As for character sets, both Nina and Andale Mono are WGL Pan-European fonts (code page 1252 Latin 1, codepage 1252 Eastern European, codepage 1251 Cyrillic, codepage 1253 Greek, codepage 1254 Turkish, codepage 1257 Baltic).
Old 11-27-2007, 06:54 AM   #8
Michael Rowley

Gerry:

The reason for having separate downloads for the PC and the Mac is also explained in the readme file. The PC package is an executable file
Quote:
that installs the fonts automatically. The Mac package is a zip file that can be opened on Windows as well as on the Mac OS and Linux.
Ah, that explains it. I hadn't read so deeply, and took the Windows or Mac offer to be for the 'traditional' reason.

Rather surprisingly, the prices reflect the very fair difference between the licences, for the fonts offered for that site are for one computer only (which will suit the home user), whereas Ascender itself allows up to five computers per font.

One thing I don't like, now you have explained it, is that the Windows executable will presumably put the fonts into the Windows font folder; so it might be better to buy the the zip file.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
iamback

The prices look good, and some of the fonts, too. But the limited ways to search for and view fonts make it hard to find something.

I'm looking for a font to make a logotype out of and I have a particular "flavor" and "character" in my mind's eye while I also need to make sure that square brackets set well with the lowercase characters I need. Without a way to see how that looks like I cannot really select a font!

So I'm off to MyFonts again, where I can search in all sorts of ways, including keywords, and type my sample text - and see that some nice-looking fonts have square brackets that were apparently designed as an afterthought, or square brackets don't exist at all!

Time-consuming... and its "similar fonts" is driving me batty: it invariably comes up with new candidates in the midst of a sea of fonts that aren't "similar" in any imaginable way.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
So I'm off to MyFonts again, where I can search in all sorts of ways, including keywords, and type my sample text - and see that some nice-looking fonts have square brackets that were apparently designed as an afterthought, or square brackets don't exist at all!
...and there in one of my searches I stumbled over a free font... and two more a page or two later. This may not be news to you but it was to me: MyFonts actually has quite a lot of free fonts as I found when I searched specifically for "free"! That gave me 428 hits - and a few good candidates for my logotype among them. Yay!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote