DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 11-21-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500GB drive

In case anyone is interested in the Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500GB, with USB, Firewire, and eSATA ports, it can be bought now from Amazon for $180. (Marlene and I found it for $200 at Costco, which was some $80 less than any other source — at that time, all of three weeks ago in my case).

Amazon has also collected a bunch of user comments, some quite negative, others positive. Interesting, in fact — almost sounds as if they are critiquing different products.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
In case anyone is interested in the Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500GB, with USB, Firewire, and eSATA ports, it can be bought now from Amazon for $180.

Amazon has also collected a bunch of user comments, some quite negative, others positive. Interesting, in fact — almost sounds as if they are critiquing different products.
I don't like to buy other than books from Amazon and for them I'd probably support my local bookstore if I had one <g>

NewEgg have that drive for $175 with all three interfaces or for $159 with only USB 2.0 / eSATA.

I'd be more comfortable buying from NewEgg than from whomever Amazon off-loads the order to.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
I don't like to buy other than books from Amazon and for them I'd probably support my local bookstore if I had one <g>

NewEgg have that drive for $175 with all three interfaces or for $159 with only USB 2.0 / eSATA.

I'd be more comfortable buying from NewEgg than from whomever Amazon off-loads the order to.
Interesting. I find a difference in products sold “directly” by Amazon and those from third parties, but not in items bought from Amazon directly.

But the NewEgg price is certainly good. (The non-Pro version of that drive is different in several aspects — not sure it is just the lack of eSATA or FireWire.)

Old 11-22-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

<< (The non-Pro version of that drive is different in several aspects — not sure it is just the lack of eSATA or FireWire.) >>

Both the NewEgg ones I saw are labeled "Pro". Is there another version as well?

Hugh
Old 11-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
Interesting — when I was researching large-capacity drives a month ago, I was looking for Firewire/USB 2 models, so never noticed the eSATA/USB 2 one.

I did find the Seagate FreeAgent Desktop 500 GB version. I think I also found a lot of complaints about this one, which is evidently not the same design as the Pro drives.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Over in Laptop Forum someone has drawn attention to some very cheap external drives on sale at Circuit City but USB2 only -- like 1TB for $200 and 500MB for $80!

http://dealnews.com/categories/Computer/Storage/51.html

but this week sales only.

Hugh
Old 01-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
Molly/CA

I got a 750gig Free Agent at Costco, with a coupon. Wish I'd gotten two or three!

It seems much more bombproof than my two or three (more?) year old Seagate and Maxtor USB hard drives. I thought it was slow but I think it was the other computer, which had a number of peculiar issues. I used it to transfer all the data files I could find from the old computer and it got them onto the new one's D drive toot sweet. Not so fast as the internal drives, but not so slow either. It's compact and runs pretty cool. I like it a lot. Maybe Costco will do it again sometime.

PS This drive comes with a USB connector and a Firewire kit, sort of, with a Firewire out. Haven't tried it, saving Firewire ports until I see what obligate Firewire stuff I'll have to plug in.

m

Last edited by Molly/CA; 01-07-2008 at 09:47 PM. Reason: fergot sumpin
Molly/CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:36 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly/CA View Post
I got a 750gig Free Agent at Costco
So did I. They still had several of them for $200 when I was at Costco just before Christmas, btw.

I was thinking about you recently — wondered if you were caught by the flooding.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
DickM

Kathleen,

I've been replacing Maxtor and Seagates with Apricorn's for the past year or so. I really like their case design -- very quiet and runs cool. They cost a bit more, but I haven't had any failures. I've had two Seagates roast their electronics (I then put the drives in Apricorn cases).

Hope you've been well.

DickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:18 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickM View Post
Kathleen,

I've been replacing Maxtor and Seagates with Apricorn's for the past year or so. I really like their case design -- very quiet and runs cool. They cost a bit more, but I haven't had any failures. I've had two Seagates roast their electronics (I then put the drives in Apricorn cases).
Howdy, stranger. Nice to see you.

But oh, no! I haven’t even installed the drive yet, and already I have to worry about it! (Marlene has been using hers for months, though; let’s hope it doesn’t roast anything!)

Was there any warning?

Apricorn doesn’t offer a Firewire connection, which is what I was looking for; though it appears that USB2 isn’t much slower, and I suppose it would do (it’s not as if blazing speed is the point — it just has sex appeal! I do not have SATA, alas.) Maybe I will consider their USB drive once I actually begin to get this mess organized, as I think I want two drives, one for backing everything up, one for emergencies.

Quote:
Hope you've been well.
Pretty well, and the same to you. Is your son still doing map work? (I was wondering just the other day if Freehand was still the most used app.)