DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Good issue of Before&After

Issue 46 of Before&After arrived yesterday and it seems especially good.

For one thing, it has its usual practical articles on design, three of which struck me especially:
  • “Five Postcard Ideas,” on using simple postcards as marketing devices. The article talks about how to arrange material on the card, and provides several good design ideas.
  • “Five Design Ideas” shows a collection of attention-getting tricks and teaches some Photoshop techniques along the way.
  • “Set a text-only logotype” is a lovely class on looking at and using type to establish a business identity.
  • Other articles cover presentation design, digital photo presentation, and more.
But what really caught my attention was publisher John McWade’s editorial on the back cover. He starts out describing a recent system upgrade to a new iMac and Adobe CS 3 Master Collection which “takes several uninterrupted hours to install. Adobe calls this its dream package, which I’m sure it is, but to me it looks like four more years of school, and, well, I’m just not sure I want to do that. Again. For, like, the fourth time.” I know just what he means.

McWade goes on to talk about the accelerated pace of change in the design and printing world: “Learn how it was, then leave it behind. Can’t ride to Mars on a horse.” Sounds like good advice to me, though really hard to take — as he says, for the fourth time. Again.

Good issue. If you don’t know about Before&After, visit its web site and check it out. There is also a digital edition.