DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 11-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mike: You can see some of them here. (Scroll down the gallery -- the last but one picture currently is Snowy, our donkey.))
Toooo cute!!!

Everybody ready for winter?

Terrie

Last edited by Franca; 11-13-2007 at 02:46 PM. Reason: added link to pics for reference
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:56 AM   #2
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Toooo cute!!!

Everybody ready for winter?

Terrie
Well Snowy's growing his winter coat and Etta has her Rambo on already.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mike: Well Snowy's growing his winter coat and Etta has her Rambo on already.
I can't remembe which Rambo you guys bought--medium weight???

I'm really pissed at Horseware yet again as Zo's barely 2 year old Wuglight turnout sheet is now leaking--her first Wuglight was over 6 years old when I passed it on to Franca and other than the patched tear, it was still waterproof...

I recently found out that one can use the Nikwax rug wash and re-proofing products on the Rambo/Wuglight blankets and so I've ordered a bottle of the spray-on re-proofing to spot treat Zo's turnout (it's leaking in one area) and I hope that will do the trick otherwise I will start using the brand new Wuglight I was sent to replace the last defective turnout...

Oh well...

Terrie
Old 11-12-2007, 01:34 AM   #4
Mike
Staff

Quote:
I recently found out that one can use the Nikwax rug wash and re-proofing products on the Rambo/Wuglight blankets and so I've ordered a bottle of the spray-on re-proofing to spot treat Zo's turnout (it's leaking in one area) and I hope that will do the trick otherwise I will start using the brand new Wuglight I was sent to replace the last defective turnout...
We'll have to have a good look at the Rambo (medium weight). To get it cleaned this summer Audrey gave it to a friend who has a friend who washes rugs cheaply. Until you mentioned it, I'd not thought about waterproofing and what effect that might have had.

Is this the stuff you use to re-waterproof the rug?

www.welshframing.com
Old 11-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mike: We'll have to have a good look at the Rambo (medium weight).
I'll bet it's ok...

>>To get it cleaned this summer Audrey gave it to a friend who has a friend who washes rugs cheaply. Until you mentioned it, I'd not thought about waterproofing and what effect that might have had.

I've been cleaning Zo's blankets myself for quite a few years as they both fit (one at a time) in my washing machine and then I just hang them over the large bush that is near my patio to dry but there is now a new-ish blanket cleaning service available in the area and I'm probably going to try them in the spring. A couple of people at the barn used them this year and were very pleased with the results and part of the cleaning process was to redo the waterproofing...

I don't know what's going on with Horsewear but it used to be that you never needed to re-proof their blankets--Zo's blue medium weight Rambo is at least 7-8 years old and is still waterproof so it's just their newer blankets that now apparently require reproofing...

>>Is this the stuff you use to re-waterproof the rug?

That's exactly what I've ordered. Nikwax also makes 2 wash-in products:

1. Nikwax Rug Wash which is basically a cleaning solution for use in a washing machine

2. Nikwas Synthetic Rug Proof which one would use after using the Rug Wash--you don't have to dry the blanket in between using these as you can clean the blanket usin the Rug Wash and then dump the Rug Proof into the washing machine to re-proof...

I've ordered this spray-on stuff because I'd like to see if it will work so I don't have to wash Zo's Wuglight now--it's getting too cold to dry it outside and you never, ever put a Horsewear blanket in a dryer with the heat on alhtough you can tumble "dry" with the air setting--and it's less expensive than the wash-in Rug Proof which is close to $30/bottle...

Terrie
Old 11-13-2007, 02:20 AM   #6
Mike
Staff

I read something that suggested the spray=on stuff was better with wicking garments. Presumably it's better if the inner layers are not waterproof.

I think we might get a bottle of spray just in case -- we have plenty of rain here.

www.welshframing.com
Old 11-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mike: I read something that suggested the spray=on stuff was better with wicking garments. Presumably it's better if the inner layers are not waterproof.
This particular Nikwax spray is specifically formulated for the Horsewear type blankets (and for horse blankets in general from what I've read)...

>>I think we might get a bottle of spray just in case -- we have plenty of rain here.

Certainly couldn't hurt...perhaps it will be like carrying an umbrella just in case...'-}}

Terrie
Old 11-14-2007, 01:45 AM   #8
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Certainly couldn't hurt...perhaps it will be like carrying an umbrella just in case...'-}}

Terrie
I doubt it. This summer we drilled a borehole because our srping had dried up twice during recent summers. It was pouring with rain while they drilled and the rain has barely stopped for any appreciable time since then.

I suspect the power of a borehole to create rain is greater and longer lasting than any vibes emanating from a bottle of waterproofer.

www.welshframing.com
Old 11-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mike: I suspect the power of a borehole to create rain is greater and longer lasting than any vibes emanating from a bottle of waterproofer.
ROFL!!!

The spray arrived today...the directions are to spray on wet fabric so now I need to decide if I should just hose the blanket down or throw it in Sandy's (barn owner) washer running it through a rinse cycle or if I should just bring it home to wash in my washing machine...

I think I'm going to use Sandy's machine because I have more options for laying it out to use to the spray and I can hang it up in the barn to dry...

Will report back on the results...

Terrie
Old 11-15-2007, 02:05 AM   #10
Mike
Staff

Do let us know how you get on. Without seeing a bottle I'd assumed it was just a case of spraying it on (maybe while the horse was wearing it) but it's obviously more complicated than that.

www.welshframing.com