DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #1
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Default Recomm: new, Fast, 11x17, PS3 laser printer?

I'm now doing research for what printer we can get at our office (newspaper publishers). It must be fast, able to handle 11x17 and letter (legal would be nice, but letter and tab are a must), PostScript and capable of at least a few thousand on the monthly duty cycle. It will need to process complex PostScript from sources with wildly varying PDF generation capability and experience (so I guess that means PostScript 3) and Ethernet. Black & White is fine, no real need for color yet.

Another, similar sized publisher we know uses a Xante Accel-a-writer and it performs like a champ.

If at all possible our goal is to select and purchase the printer, and get it installed, up and running before Tuesday. Yes, 4-5 days from now with a weekend in the middle.

The old Apple LaserWriter 8500 finally gave up the ghost (appropriate, I guess, on Halloween) and it was a nighmare getting this week's papers out the door trying to work off the only other laser printer we have, the letter-only HP LJ 2100.

Recommendations please!

TIA,

Old 11-09-2007, 06:03 AM   #2
George

Elyse,

All I can say is, that where I'm at I've noticed a constant stream of nice laser printers being unloaded by businesses on Craig's List. They are top line at good prices. You can actually find something a lot nicer than you were expecting that way.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Yes, I was hoping for something like that, but Craigslist for this region just didn't have the kind of printer we need.

Late yesterday we ended up ordering the Xante Accel-a-Writer 4G directly from Xante and it's scheduled to be delivered Monday, along with an extra toner cart and a second paper cassette. The bosses are still pondering the cross-ship extended warranty, which at $895 is a significant chunk of change, but, then again, we'd be in deep doodoo if we had to go without that printer for long. It was a (all-)nightmare putting out the papers without a tabloid printer this week.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
elyse: Late yesterday we ended up ordering the Xante Accel-a-Writer 4G directly from Xante
I was going to suggest that you post on the Colorsync Users list as I'm sure someone there could give you a recommendation...

...but...

nevermind...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I was going to suggest that you post on the Colorsync Users list as I'm sure someone there could give you a recommendation...

...but...

nevermind...'-}}

Guess I know where I'll be Monday morning — camped at the office waiting for the thing to arrive.

Then I'll have to start kicking people off machines to install drivers and whatnot — all while probably fielding phone calls and emails from advertisers.

That's one thing I really love about small operations — you get to wear lots of hats and you're never bored! Top that off with employers who really appreciate you and what you do and going to work is a joy.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
elyse: Guess I know where I'll be Monday morning — camped at the office waiting for the thing to arrive.
Wil they delivery on monday--Veterans day???

Hope the install goes smoothly...

Terrie
Old 11-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Wil they delivery on monday--Veterans day???
It's FedEx, so I imagine so. Banks are no doubt closed, ditto the Post Office, but as far as I know couriers like UPS, DHL and FedEx will still be delivering. Heck, the school districts are having a regular school day.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
Hugh Wyn Griffith

With FedEx, I'd be pessimistic even on a normal day .....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
elyse: It's FedEx, so I imagine so.
Maybe it's just that I'm in the DC area--read...lots of federal employees--so we don't get deliveries on monday and the schools are closed too...

Terrie
Old 11-11-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
Susie

FexEx and UPS will deliver on Monday even though the banks and post offices are closed.