DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-21-2007, 07:38 AM   #11
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
KT: (But not all can be activated at once, right?)
Yes, they can all be activated at once. I haven't yet added a new version to a computer with no older version installed, but I thought someone said you only needed the CD for proof. So if you don't want CS on your system, try CS2 without it first, see what happens. Then you can tell all of us<G>

Old 10-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #12
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

FWIW, on the PC, at least Acrobat and Pagemaker upgrades will stop early on, demand proof of ownership and allow you to eject the upgrade installer CD and insert the CD for the version you're upgrading from.

I'm not sure what'll happen if you're upgrading a version that is itself an upgraded version of an upgraded version of a ....

I *think* I got into that state with Acrobat, and am pretty sure it just demanded the previous version's CD and a valid serial number before heading off to the races.

Of course, this is speculation and by now you probably know the actual answer.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:09 AM   #13
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie View Post
Yes, they can all be activated at once. I haven't yet added a new version to a computer with no older version installed, but I thought someone said you only needed the CD for proof. So if you don't want CS on your system, try CS2 without it first, see what happens. Then you can tell all of us<G>
I cannot imagine needing CS at this stage of the game. So I will begin by re-installing and activating CS 2, see what happens.

Today’s big adventure is trying to get Eudora set up, since I insisted on doing it the hard way (new clean install; then trying to set up personalities and mailboxes from scratch). Haven’t had e-mail for three days.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #14
marlene
Staff

I am also planning to install CS2 on my new computer, and then install CS3 when I get around to buying it.

Right now I've got CS and CS2 both installed on my old PC, so as Cristen mentioned, you can have both installed on the same machine.

I also still have stand-alone versions of AI 10 and Photoshop 7 on the old PC. (Not gonna transfer those -- or CS1 -- to the new PC, though!)

AFAIK, the only thing you CAN'T have duplicate versions of is Acrobat (and that may have changed).

One thing I remember is that when I tried to install one of the CS versions, I was repeatedly prompted to insert the CD for the "qualifying product" (the installer wasn't happy with anything it found on my hard drive).

When I called Adobe, the guy told me that the "qualifying product" would be the FIRST full version of an Adobe app that I had bought, which in my case was Photoshop 3. I had tried CDs going back to only PS 5.

Anyway, IIRC, he gave me a temporary installation code that was going to expire in 30 minutes, so I had to complete the install right away.

I also had a problem installing Quark last time, so I've learned not to attempt installing anything from Quark or Adobe outside of their tech support hours. :\

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:27 AM   #15
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Once I unraveled the information Adobe provided enhanced by discussions here, the weirdest difficulty was that it took 45 minutes or more to install the files.

I had CS 2 activated on my G4, and wondered if that would pose a problem, but evidently not, as now I have CS 3 on the iMac, and both seem to work. Not sure I need both, but who knows — I have yet to recover all my files from the G4, and I might need to look at one of them.

The registration took mere seconds and went flawlessly. Isn’t that amazing? <g>

Old 10-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #16
marlene
Staff

I am dreading installing CS and Quark, which I plan to do tomorrow. CS really ought not to be a problem, because IIRC I only have it installed on one computer, but I've got Quark on two computers, so I have to work out how to deactivate it on the laptop.

I found some confusing info on the Quark site's forum, and posted a message several days ago, but it has gone unanswered. There's an on-line form that needs to be submitted, but I'm not clear on whether it's asking for info about deactivating on one of the old machines or activating on the new one. I suppose I will have to call them.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #17
imatt

From what I understand and from my exp, you do NOT need a previous version of CS to perform the upgrade. The CD from an earlier version should be all thats needed. This is how I upgraded from CS to CS2.

However, I think this only works if your PC or Mac has 2 optical drives or access to an ext one as the CS3 installer needs access to another optical drive to see the CS2 disk for verification.

That said, if you do install CS2 to perform the upgrade, simply installing a single app such as Photoshop should be enough to upgrade.
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #18
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

In the end, I just had to type in the CS 2 registration number, which was on the package.

After I indulged in anxiety, of course! <g>

Old 11-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #19
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
I just had to type in the CS 2 registration number
You mean the number that was on the little label that was stuck to the cheap PS case for the CD? You'd think that Adobe & Microsoft have devised devilish schemes to prevent them from losing custom that don't rely on little, easily lost labels, we might have something better.