DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 10-31-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
michelen

Location: In California, where Berkeley, Oakland, and Emeryville all meet.
Default Quark Help

Greetings,

It's been a while. Got laid off, finally found another job. It's a great job, except I am being forced to use Quark 7.

At my last job, I was the moving force behind the migration from Quark to InDesign. So being back in the Quark corral isn't the greatest.

Having been away from the Quark dungeon for so long, I need to find a good resource for help. The Quark forum is pretty useless, especially since it won't let me register so I can post messages. Does anyone know of a good online forum for Quark users?

FWIW, my hidden agenda at the new job is to get them to make the leap from Quark to InDesign. We have both, so it's not a question of spending $$. It's a question of, "well, it works, so we don't want to mess with it." Harder to overcome. But my new "boss" thinks I'm great, so after I've been there a bit longer, I will start my campaign. Wish me luck.

In the meantime, I need to beat Quark into submission, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Michele
michelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
marlene
Staff

I feel your pain. I was a big Quark fan for years, but the bugs and annoyances in versions 6 and 7 have pushed me into using InDesign for many of my new projects.

I agree that the Quark web site's forum is pretty useless -- messages often go unanswered. I don't know if there are any other Quark forums.

Another option is the Quark listserve, which is less active than it used to be.

But there are still a fair number of people in this forum who still use Quark, so ask away! I do use Quark (7.3 on PC) for some projects.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
flashgordon

I use Quark 7 and have had no problems. I actually am a big Adobe fan, but after the early versions of InDesign kept crashing, I switched. Perhaps it is time to go back to InDesign...

flashgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
roaryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelen View Post
Does anyone know of a good online forum for Quark users?
Well, if we aren't good enough, you can try the late prepressforums.com. It's only an archive now but you might be able to search for your specific problem there. Unfortunately that fun place was eaten by the humourless printplanet.com (they bought them out), which has a kind of slow quark forum.

There are good quark users on here.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
michelen

Greetings Flash,

When I was at GamePro Magazine, we made the switch from Quark 4.11 to InDesign CS (on my recommendation) when we went to OSX on the Mac, and we were very happy with the result. I found IDCS to be quite stable both on OSX and Windows XP Pro, and CS2 is the same.

I'm having some problems with Quark 7.3 running on a dual processor Intel Mac. There are two bugs that are particularly troublesome:

1. Inserting pages makes Quark crash. Once it crashes, I re-launch it and inserting pages works fine. But it always crashes the first time I try.

2. I am a big fan of layers. In Quark, I set up a document with some layers, some of which are locked. When I reopen my document later, the layers palette is greyed-out, and no layers appear in the list. All of my content is visible, but I can't edit anything on a locked layer. The workaround for this is to start Quark without opening any files, then create a new file. Then open my document, and the layers palette behaves correctly. A kludge, but it works.

Have you experienced this behavior?

FWIW, I prefer InDesign for many reasons, though I am still learning my way around this version of Quark. InDesign allows you to assign hot keys to just about any function. Does Quark have this feature, and I just haven't found it yet? The other thing I really miss is being able to import native Illustrator files. And I miss the "tear off" menus--being able to move any tab in a palette to any other palette, so I can group things the way it makes the most sense to me.

Oh, yes, I can't print from Quark, either. Any file that contains a raster won't print unless I re-save the image with ascii encoding, and sent Quark's print menu to ascii, as well. And I don't even want to talk about exporting PDFs from Quark. I don't. I write postscript files and distill them. Thank heavens for Acrobat Professional.

I would appreciate any Quark tips you can provide. Yes, I would prefer to use InDesign, but I would like to be as proficient as possible with both apps.

Thanks!

Michele
Old 11-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
michelen

Tim,

The "late" prepressforums.com? That's terrible! I loved that site--I spent a lot of time there. There was a guy from Enfocus who hung out there and went way above and beyond the call of duty helping me with Pitstop. What happened? When did it happen? Drat!

Well, I'm glad this place is still here. I didn't know if there were Quark users here or not. Hope they can help me.

Michele
Old 11-02-2007, 06:29 AM   #7
Peter Singer

Michele:

Sorry to hear about your problems with Quark. I've been using 7.3 since August and it seems quicker and more stable than 6.5. It's only crashed once in that time.

I've tried to reproduce the scenarios you describe, but I can't - I don't get the crash on inserting pages or the greyed-out layers.

It sounds as though the application or one of the support files has got mangled. In your shoes, I'd resort to the rigorous trouble-shooting that Quark used to recommend in the bad old days of v4 (or was it v3?) - throwing away preferences, turning off as many fonts as possible, etc, and if all else fails reinstalling the application. If you can't remember the routine, you can find details here:

http://www.quark.com/service/desktop...jsp?faq_id=304

I don't know how much of this stuff has become obsolete with the arrival of later versions of Quark (and newer, improved versions of the OS) but I imagine the general principles still hold.

By the way, I find 7.3 a great improvement on 6.5 and I much prefer it to ID. I work faster and get more done. (The addition of some extra features, especially built-in drop shadows, makes it much more competitive IMHO.) I now find ID quite irritating to use - in particular the tiny, almost unreadable palettes and, above all, the absurd duplication of key-presses to scroll around the page - space-drag if one tool is selected and Alt-drag if another is selected. I usually pick the wrong one and either unintentionally duplicate text boxes, or insert chains of spaces in the middle of text. Completely unintuitive compared with Quark's consistent use of Alt-drag to shift the page around.
Peter Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
roaryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelen View Post
The "late" prepressforums.com? ... What happened? When did it happen? Drat!
Drat sums it up nicely. About 6 weeks ago or so Cory, the admin for prepressforums.com, announced, with 1 day notice, that the site was being turned into an archive, and we were all welcome to go over to printplanet.com, where he had been given the job of developing the prepress part. He had done prepressforums for free for years, and I got the impression he was bought out and offered a real job, and it was an offer he couldn't refuse.

I'm sure printplanet.com, with all their money behind them, were bitterly jealous of the success of prepressforums, a place where the admin was doing it for fun, and perhaps some ad income and donations. As you know it was a very lively place, where you could get excellent tech info along with lots of jokes and nuttiness from a great cast of characters. printplanet.com in contrast is serious, stuffy and boring, with sales people injecting pitches for their products in response to technical questions (they would have been flamed off if they tried that on prepressforums). I'm sure that is why it is very slow with only a few new posts a day. prepressforums felt like a place for the people in the trenches, printplanet.com feels like a place where I would end up chatting anonymously with my boss.

I'm just hoping they don't come after Kathleen next! (the admin here).

Old 11-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Are you guys talking about this place?

I just got semi-spam email from them with a forum user-id--I don't remember signing up with this forum but I might have...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
roaryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Are you guys talking about this place?
No, that is some place trying to cash in on the success of prepressforums.com (note the s after prepressforum). I used to get spam from them also.