DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-27-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Default XP print and font problem

My graphics PC at home takes nearly ten minutes print or to Distil to PDF; I thought this was a print problem until I saw that Word takes nearly a minute to display the font list when I want to change fonts.
I've only got 190 fonts in \Windows\Fonts so it's not bloated, and I don't get this delay displaying fonts in the graphics programs (InDesign, Quark) or here in this forum. Mind you, the agonisingly slow printing happens from any program.

The computer is a Dell Dimension 9200 2.8GHz running XP Home with 1GB RAM and 15GB free disk space. CheckDisk reports no errors, and the situation doesn't improve if I close all extra programs and antivirus thingies.

Any ideas, chaps?
Thanks

Old 10-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Michael Rowley

Robin:

Quote:
I saw that Word takes nearly a minute to display the font list when I want to change fonts
Are you making your PDF documents from Word documents? I make mine that way quite often, using Adobe's PDFMaker add-in for Word. The PDF documents are actually made in Distiller, and if you choose anything but Adobe's 'standard' for PDFs it takes ages; if you choose the standard, it makes the PDF in what seems to be a flash.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
Robin Springall

No Michael, I hardly ever use Word: Management uses the computer for her own stuff. The delays are 1) printing to either a real printer (or to Distiller from a PS file) and 2) selecting a new font in Word.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:41 AM   #4
Michael Rowley

Robin:

Quote:
I hardly ever use Word: Management uses the computer for her own stuff
Since you mentioned Distiller and Word, I assumed they are on the same computer, and both used by someone. PDFMaker has been supplied with Acrobat for quite some time.

I've never experienced any delay in Word's font lists, nor heard of any; on the contrary, Word seems to react quickly to font changes.

Distiller makes up its own font list, and in fact puzzles me when I get the message, 'Distiller has had to close', when I merely have looked at the activated fonts in ATM Deluxe, without of course opening Distiller.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #5
dthomsen8

Default More PDF Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Robin:

Since you mentioned Distiller and Word, I assumed they are on the same computer, and both used by someone. PDFMaker has been supplied with Acrobat for quite some time.

I've never experienced any delay in Word's font lists, nor heard of any; on the contrary, Word seems to react quickly to font changes.

Distiller makes up its own font list, and in fact puzzles me when I get the message, 'Distiller has had to close', when I merely have looked at the activated fonts in ATM Deluxe, without of course opening Distiller.
The current PC Magazine (November 6, 2007) has an article on PDF Makers on page 30. Bullzip Pro is free, and gets three red dots out of four, DeskPDF Professional is $29.95 direct with three and a half red dots, PDF Converter Professional 4 is $99.95 with three and a half dots, and finally, Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard is $299, with four red dots.

It is possible that a different PDF maker might do better than what you are using now.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
Michael Rowley

Dave:

Quote:
It is possible that a different PDF maker might do better than what you are using now
I have several ways of making PDF documents that don't depend on Distiller, but I've got Acrobat 8, with which comes several auxiliary programs that are very convenient to use in various Microsoft applications. So why bother with other programs that might have fewer possibilities than Acrobat/Distiler for making different kinds of PDF document?

Old 10-28-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
dthomsen8

Default Try a different PDF maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Dave:

I have several ways of making PDF documents that don't depend on Distiller, but I've got Acrobat 8, with which comes several auxiliary programs that are very convenient to use in various Microsoft applications. So why bother with other programs that might have fewer possibilities than Acrobat/Distiler for making different kinds of PDF document?
My idea is to try a different PDF maker, and see if you have the same difficulties that you do with Distiller. If you already have them, give them a try. At worst, the same thing happens as now.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
Michael Rowley

Dave:

Quote:
see if you have the same difficulties that you do with Distiller
I have no difficulties with Distiller; it's Robin that was complaining of slow conversion, which I suggested may be a result of his (or She-who-must-be-obeyed's) choice of setting.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
Robin Springall

It's a weird one, for sure.

Aside the the Word problem is delayed font list, the first print delay happens when I do File:Print from any application: there's an intolerable wait even before the print dialog screen appears. I reckon the spooler process has gone wonky, and I'll have to do a full reinstall

I'll remember to contact Adobe beforehand, to unactivate the software, otherwise they might get uppity when I want to reactivate all the software.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
Michael Rowley

Robin:

Quote:
I'll have to do a full reinstall
Of Acrobat? Which version? If it's v. 8, remember that it's been uograded several times: the current version is 8.1.1.

You might consider repair as an alternative to a complete install. I suspect that 'repair' is more or less reinstal, but at least you don't have to re-register the program.