DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
Howard Allen

Default ID CS "Book" won't autopaginate

I looked in the forum archives for this, but couldn't find a discussion. Sorry if it's been dealt with before.

ID CS(1) Mac, OS 10.4.10.

Folks--

This is one of those "It's supposed to work, according to the user manual, so how come it doesn't?!" questions:

I'm putting together a book of some 200 pages in ID CS. I initially started with separate ID docs for each of 13 "chapters", then bound the docs together into an ID "book".

According to ID Help (and Galen Gruman's "ID CS Bible"), I should be able to cause the page numbers to automatically increment between documents in the book. I set "Numbering and Section Options..." in each document (after the first, which is a different section, numbered i, ii, iii...) to "Automatic Page Numbering". I want documents 2 through 13 to be paginated 1, 2, 3....

In the Book Panel menu, I have "Book Page Numbering Options" set to "Continue from previous document" and "Automatic Pagination". No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the automatic pagination to "take". With everything set to "automatic", I get each document page-numbered in a separate sequence (1...8, 1...11, 1...4, 1...28 etc.).

The only way I can seem to get the correct pagination is to set the numbering options to "Start page numbering at ___" for each document independently: i.e. manual pagination. But of course, as soon as you insert or delete a page in any of the documents, the pagination goes to the dogs, and you have to manually paginate the whole thing all over again. So how come it doesn't work as advertised?

Puzzling it out, it seems as if ID is treating each document in the "book" as a new "section" (and indeed each document does have a "section start" flag on the first page in the Pages pane, but that's the default behaviour when you start a new document--which makes sense--and I can't see any way of removing the "section start" flags from the beginning of each document in the "book").

Thanks in advance!
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
grEEnLighter

Default you are dong something wrong

First of all i might say that the things are going exactly how they advertise. I have done a lot of books and every time worked just fine. But lets start working on your issue here.

Make sure that in each separate .indd file you did not choose start page numbering at "x" and your document has Automatic Page Numbering.
You an check this in 2 ways:
1. double click on the chapter from the book, this should open your indd chapter file, right click *oh 10.4 does have it* on the first page thumbnail from the document and choose numbering and section option in that panel automatic page numbering should be checked. Do this for each chapter. Of course for the first section that you need to number as i, ii, iii and for the first chapter you need to choose start page numbering from. BUT FOR THOSE 2 ONLY.
2. The second way, much easy is to select (single click) from the book the document then go to document page numbering option. On that panel Automatic Page Numbering should be checked. Repeat this for each document.

Play along with them and you will figure them out.
I will attach some print screens (PC coz my mac is at work) to illustrate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1077   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1078   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	1079   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1080   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1081  

Old 10-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
grEEnLighter

only 5 files allowed to be uploaded and i have 6. dam this world is cruel .
Hope it helps even that the print screens are from pc and the cs2 on the mac and cs1 should be the same. If you did not manage to solve the problem post again and i will be more precise, maybe an video or something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1082  

Old 10-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
Howard Allen

grEEnLighter--

Don't you just hate it when your car's been making that annoying noise all week, and when you take it to the mechanic, it doesn't make that noise? DOH!

Thanks for your quick and detailed reply. I read your explanation and said to myself "well, he's told me to do exactly what I've already done." But I decided to do it all over again, and--Eureka! Now it works!

I set page numbering in all of the chapters/documents except the second one to "Automatic". I set the second chapter/document to "Start numbering at __1__". It works just fine now, but I can't figure out why it wouldn't before. Just to make sure, I added a couple extra pages to one of the middle chapters/documents, and everything incremented as it was supposed to. Same thing when I deleted those two blank pages.

I'm mystified, but the bottom line is, my pagination works like a charm now--and since you are the one who prompted me to do it over again, I'm giving you full credit: THANKS! :-D

--Howard
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
grEEnLighter

I`m glad that you managed this by yourself... in this way you will never forget how is to be done. You probably forgot something.... or did not/did checked the wrong option.
Also about take it from begining.... Last month i have received an INDD file half made by someone else whom get sick and cannot finished in time. The file was far for being ready for print, in the technical way i meen. I have spent 2 days trying to fix/identify the bugs from that document.... Do you know what i have did? I have redone it from complete scratch. 2 days latter i was done with the all of the document not just half. This was a lesson for me. And now i prefer to do things all over again that fixing an well hidden bug that actually will take me more time to fix it than starting all over again.

And about the car... i know exactly what do you say. No longer than yesterday i was at the "doctor" with my car who constantly refused to go into 2`nd gear. Did you know what she did when the mechanic drove it? Exactly!!!! The damm car worked perfectly. She is ok now and i do not have any logic explanation for this. As a matter of fact i will sell it to show her who is the boss around here.