DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Gocco anyone?

I had heard about this compact, un-messy sort of silk-screen printing dingus years ago, but never found one. I used to do a bit of screen printing, and the tedious aspects — sensitizing or otherwise preparing the screen (lightboxes, film positives, resists, etc.) and printing (making or setting up the screen, hinging it to a work bench, setting up registration stops, etc.) — kind of got me to drift away from it. But I have always loved the medium.

This Sunday the New York Times Magazine had an article in the “Consumed” column: The Cult of Gocco. The article said the device was originally designed for home-made greeting cards, business cards, letterhead, etc., in Japan and that the manufacturer has decided to discontinue it because of competition with computers and their printers.

It does demand some craft (its virtue is that it combines the screen-making and printing to some extent). But it is also very clever. (Electric iron required for preparing the art for the screen.)

I first heard of it from print-making friends, who were charmed by its simplicity and the fact that the prints were indistinguishable from those made from conventional screens. With the computer, today we can make artwork on the computer (or in other ways), so the tool is even more versatile than it seemed in the 1980s.

Anyway, I found one, ordered it, and hope to receive it by Friday. Very exciting.