DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 10-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Default Didn't know you could do this

I suppose you brainy lot knew this all the time, but I've just discovered two useful things in Photoshop CS2: you can change text from the default rich black to true black, and then you can make it overprint by setting its overlay to multiply.

We often get artwork supplied in Photoshop: now I can something sensible with the text before sticking the thing into InDesign

Old 10-18-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall View Post
I suppose you brainy lot knew this all the time, but I've just discovered two useful things in Photoshop CS2: you can change text from the default rich black to true black, and then you can make it overprint by setting its overlay to multiply.

We often get artwork supplied in Photoshop: now I can something sensible with the text before sticking the thing into InDesign
Okay, color me curious and dead ignorant. How do you turn a CMYK black into a "true" black in PS? I can set the swatch so it is 100%K in the readout, but the info palette still shows my CMYK numbers for a separation.

Then, I can set the blend mode of the type layer to Multiply, but it's going to overprint anyway in ID, isn't it? Are we supposed to be bringing the file in all at once or as layers, and does that make any difference? According to their so-called Help, overprint is the default in ID, or that's what it sounds like they're saying. I can choose to display as a Rich Black or as a True Black, but how is that changing anything you seem to want changed?

Also, I thought people wanted a rich black to avoid trapping issues? although I've also heard people talking about problems getting things to overprint, or not, so if I can manage to understand what you're talking about, I'll feel better prepared for future problems.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I don't think you can easily change an object's colour to K=100 in a CMYK Photoshop document, but it's dead easy to change the colour of text: just click on the text colour box, make it K=100, and Robert really is your mother's brother.

Black text from a Photoshop doc imported into ID won't remain vector and won't overprint. The only way I've found is to save the PS file as a PDF (no layers) then import that into ID. When you then create your Press PDF from ID, the trapping is retained. This is pretty much the same as we used to do in Quark, only now we can save the PS file as a PDF instead of an EPS. One day, I expect ID will be able to import vector text from a Photoshop file.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #4
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Robin: just click on the text colour box, make it K=100, and Robert really is your mother's brother.
So that's the trick. In AI, there's no problem. Type with Black and it IS 100K. Stays that way coming into another program too.

Quote:
Robin: Black text from a Photoshop doc imported into ID won't remain vector and won't overprint.
Not exactly. Not if you place the whole file at once. I thought CS3 would be up on that, but it still isn't. You can Paste live text from PS into ID. But not probably the way you want to. No formatting that I seem able to paste from PS even with the text formatted and with my options set to paste everything.

Must be a trick I'm missing, but without figuring that one out, it's no good coming from clients who have carefully chosen their typeface and set it down where they wanted it<G>

We have two unsatisfactory solutions to getting vector text from one program to another so far. Smart Objects for AI to PS, and Clipboard handling prefs for PS or AI to ID. We're getting closer to a real solution, I guess.

Thanks for the explanation.

So