DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 10-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Xenu Link Checker

Xenu
is a good link checker, and good for exploring other people's web sites, too.

dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Xenu is a good link checker, and good for exploring other people's web sites, too.
Hard to understand what it does. For $60, do I also need a copy of Windows in order to run it on my Mac?

Old 10-15-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Hard to understand what it does. For $60, do I also need a copy of Windows in order to run it on my Mac?
I don't know if you can buy a copy of Windows for $60, but you might pick up one for that price on eBay. Xenu is free though. The page also states:
Quote:
(However I have been told that it will run faultlessly under Red Hat 8 using wine, and under Crossover on a Mac :-))
- does that help?

You give it a URL (or a local file) and it starts crawling looking for and reporting on broken links. Not all that hard to understand is it? It's been around for years, and I'm glad to see it's still alive. Just a pity it isn't open source...

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:07 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
I don't know if you can buy a copy of Windows for $60, but you might pick up one for that price on eBay. Xenu is free though. The page also states:
- does that help?

You give it a URL (or a local file) and it starts crawling looking for and reporting on broken links. Not all that hard to understand is it? It's been around for years, and I'm glad to see it's still alive. Just a pity it isn't open source...
I meant that after paying $60 for Crossover did I also need a copy of Windows (which is also not free).

Anyway, Zenu does sound useful. We could use it here — turns out most links to Amazon are broken after a few months, and it annoys people. We could either fix the link or just replace it with enough information that anyone could find it themselves, no matter where Amazon hides it. Assuming it is still available, of course.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #5
iamback

Quote:
I meant that after paying $60 for Crossover did I also need a copy of Windows (which is also not free).
Ah. But you didn't mention Crossover, so that made it seem as if Xenu costs $60 - which it doesn't.

Quote:
Anyway, Zenu does sound useful. We could use it here — turns out most links to Amazon are broken after a few months, and it annoys people. We could either fix the link or just replace it with enough information that anyone could find it themselves, no matter where Amazon hides it. Assuming it is still available, of course.
That would indeed be a nice task for it. But are all forum staff using only Macs?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:

Seems not. From the Crossover site:

"Best of all, you do it all easily and affordably, without needing a Microsoft operating system license."

I think I'd rather spend a bit more and get Parallels or VMWare's product plus a real copy of Windows. Well, ok. Quite a bit more. Um. Yeah. LOTS more. ;-)

But for an occasional fling with a Windows app, this sounds like quite a nice deal if it works.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Seems not. From the Crossover site:

"Best of all, you do it all easily and affordably, without needing a Microsoft operating system license."

I think I'd rather spend a bit more and get Parallels or VMWare's product plus a real copy of Windows. Well, ok. Quite a bit more. Um. Yeah. LOTS more. ;-)

But for an occasional fling with a Windows app, this sounds like quite a nice deal if it works.
Maybe I’ll give it a try. I still haven’t had a chance to set up the new computer. It’s not the computer itself — that is more or less a matter of putting it down and plugging it in somewhere.

But the somewhere is a real problem. Jack frowned menacingly when I said maybe I could just put it on the dining room table. So I guess I must clear off a desk for it until my new computer table gets here. Sigh. Life is pitiless sometimes.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Life is pitiless? Tsk. Sounds like it's Jack wot won't let you play with your new toy. Bad Jack. Bad!

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:05 AM   #9
LoisWakeman
Staff

KT - be aware that if you check a big sit, it generates a lot of traffic. I used it at a client's request on her CMS, and it consumed her bandwidth allowance for a month! So, best to set it loose on limited scope for a test run first to see what happens
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
KT - be aware that if you check a big sit, it generates a lot of traffic. I used it at a client's request on her CMS, and it consumed her bandwidth allowance for a month! So, best to set it loose on limited scope for a test run first to see what happens
Thanks for the warning! Assume it can be limited to, say, a single forum/section?

Might be a good idea anyway.