DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #28
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Hello KT, I really like the Mini, and I find the cordless mouse a real joy to use, with no constant (albeit nearly subconscious) tugging to free the cord. Do bear in mind, though, that it's particularly tricky to get into a Mini without having the right tools and experience (and a spare case for when you damage the one you're opening!), so yes, do buy the more expensive version and specify 2GB RAM.

I think it's a waste of money bunging in a larger hard drive, unless you can get the firm to install it for not much more than the cost of an external drive. If you go for an external data drive, I'd say choose the Lacie over the Iomega.

Don't forget that the Mini uses an Intel built-in graphics chip, which takes oompf away from your CPU and memory. Also, the Mini is fine as a small computer, but you want something big and powerful (oo-er, Missus): you'll get a better-performing machine if you buy an iMac instead. For example, over here, your proposed setup would cost £1375. If you bought a 24" iMac with 2GB and a 500GB internal drive, the whole caboodle would only send you back around £1100, and it has an ATI Radeon graphics card.

Rx