DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #19
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I wonder about the wisdom of putting all your backup eggs in one basket.
Yow! You are definitely serious about backup.*

I on the other hand have been haphazard (and that is a generous description). I am paying for my sins, though; need copies of a fax newsletter I co-published from 1990 through 1994 and find the files on various old computers in old formats, like PageMaker 3 and 4.2, on Mac systems going back to 7.5 on a Quadra 700 and a 7500, and I cannot for the life of me remember how to network them. I do have an external SCSI CD-recorder (probably about speed 2!) if I can get it to work. And I am one monitor shy so need to play musical monitors. Just need to move the old PM files from 3 to 4.2 to 6.5 to 7 to InDesign to PDF.

And then there are articles written for many magazines now long gone. I have Word or plain text files that come close to the final versions of the articles, but the illustrations were done with old fonts in old Illustrators, and some will not open, or do not show the right fonts.

So I do see a need for backups. Now. Rather late in the game.

I should consider online backups, even if only as a temporary thing. I could increase the capacity of my .Mac account and move files from misc. computers up there. Still have to translate files and formats, though.