DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2007, 06:20 AM   #1
George

Default Pingdom and things

My statistics show this Pingdom site has a link to my site. I don't get it?? Is that a marketing technique?? I guess so. But who would want these services really??

But I like very much the design of the Pingdom site. It's simple and sophisticated. That's a good objective -- to have both. I like the color scheme and layout. It gives a sense of confidence and peace. I wish there were books on how to do that.

I've been spending a little time at that British forum I linked to as an example recently. It really grows on me. The British sites really do use layout and color differently, and they seem to have a higher standard for graphics. But as I said once before, a British site often reminds me of a table setting at Windsor castle in layout (almost too precise) and a coat of arms in color. I think this is because in Europe design was originally determind by the nobility. Even when no conception of nobility is associated with the site, the design influence seems to be there. I think I should be careful not to let it affect my thinking, or I will stray in subtle manners from important aspects of simplicity essential to my own culture. But then, I have at times let Shakespearean rhythms influence my writing and speech.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote