DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 10-02-2007, 05:20 AM   #1
George

Default Pingdom and things

My statistics show this Pingdom site has a link to my site. I don't get it?? Is that a marketing technique?? I guess so. But who would want these services really??

But I like very much the design of the Pingdom site. It's simple and sophisticated. That's a good objective -- to have both. I like the color scheme and layout. It gives a sense of confidence and peace. I wish there were books on how to do that.

I've been spending a little time at that British forum I linked to as an example recently. It really grows on me. The British sites really do use layout and color differently, and they seem to have a higher standard for graphics. But as I said once before, a British site often reminds me of a table setting at Windsor castle in layout (almost too precise) and a coat of arms in color. I think this is because in Europe design was originally determind by the nobility. Even when no conception of nobility is associated with the site, the design influence seems to be there. I think I should be careful not to let it affect my thinking, or I will stray in subtle manners from important aspects of simplicity essential to my own culture. But then, I have at times let Shakespearean rhythms influence my writing and speech.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
My statistics show this Pingdom site has a link to my site. I don't get it?? Is that a marketing technique?? I guess so. But who would want these services really??
Exactly how are the showing up in your statistics? If they show up as referrer, that's a link; if they show up as the origin, that's a check whether your site is up.

Now, any website owner would want to know whether their website is up, wouldn't they? Which website owner would not want to know? That's a service Pingdom provides. There is also GIGRIB wich is a free network of users who do the checking - each participant can have up to 10 sites monitored in return for their computer monitoring sites that they and others have requested to be monitored - and that service is free.

The commercial Pingdom service does not have links of monitored sites - if they show up it can only be that someone requested your site to be monitored and what you're seeing is them as origin, not as a referrer (which would be a link). And yes, they might do that themselves as a marketing technique - it wouldn't be the first time a similar service is doing that (I've had a run-in with another such service that was hammering my site and then sending me "weekly reports" which was unsollicited and therefore spam).

The GIGRIB service results are searchable though, so if anyone ever requested your site to be monitored, and if anyone (else, or not) did a search for your site and then followed a link - that will show up in your statistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
But I like very much the design of the Pingdom site. It's simple and sophisticated. That's a good objective -- to have both. I like the color scheme and layout. It gives a sense of confidence and peace.
Don't know about peace, but it's a nice, clean layout without being too fashionable. But it's not fluid (horizontal scrollbar in my browser), and the code tries to be XHTML strict but fails (that wouldn't be too hard bto fix though).

Quote:
I've been spending a little time at that British forum I linked to as an example recently. It really grows on me. The British sites really do use layout and color differently, and they seem to have a higher standard for graphics.
I see a lot of sites but I don't see what you're concluding. Could your sample be too small for such a conclusion?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
George

Pingdom is definitely listed as a referrer. Recently, a forum I debated in a long time ago got hacked. The hacker sent me an e-mail noting he had my information. I noted that in the forum. Maybe, that has something to do with it. I doubt it, but I don't think it's worthwhile to put much time into figuring these anomalies out.

So, if I had a larger and more correct sample, what would you suggest I might find??

However, these discernments can be extremely subtle. For instance, did you notice my title for the thread has a chiastic syllable structure?? Was that intentional?? At an unconscious level, I'm certain it was. But I often have such literary devices in my writing, as I appreciate their power.

One has to go slow, asking what is the effect of the site, and then why, looking for the layers of thought involved.

We don't discuss layered logic in the forum, but it is a subject that interests me much. One thing I've never really done is to encode hidden messages in things I write. There can be a fascinating psychology to that. I have to get around to it some time.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:25 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Pingdom is definitely listed as a referrer. Recently, a forum I debated in a long time ago got hacked. The hacker sent me an e-mail noting he had my information. I noted that in the forum. Maybe, that has something to do with it. I doubt it, but I don't think it's worthwhile to put much time into figuring these anomalies out.
To be honest, any connection with that sounds far-fetched to me.

Quote:
So, if I had a larger and more correct sample, what would you suggest I might find??
I'd look for two things: is an incoming referral from their site regular (i.e., happening say, once a week, once a day...) - look for patterns. And I'd look for the tests - these will be only as HEAD requests, which may not show up in your regular statistics: you may need raw logs for that. Combine the two, and you might learn something. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. (Spammers' harvesting bots would worry me far more... if someone wants to know whether my site is up - good luck to them. )

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote