DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
Bo Aakerstrom

Default Buying from Amazon

What's the verdict on buying (new) software from Amazon?

Are there any drawbacks I should be aware of?

Old 10-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

While I don't think I've ever ordered software from Amazon, I have ordered books and they are a reputable company...

Here in the States, I generally order software from places like buy.com or newegg.com because the prices are generally better than Amazon but I'm not sure what sort of computer/software sites would give you the best price in the UK...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

Any other sites for us here in the UK that are both cheap and reputable would be good (I am difficult to please!).

Old 10-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom View Post
Any other sites for us here in the UK that are both cheap and reputable would be good (I am difficult to please!).
So cheapcopies.co.uk would not be of interest?

The only other UK "large" dealer I would use is www.dabs.co.uk which is now owned by BT. Their prices were really competitive years ago when they started in Birmingham, but now they are on a par with Amazon.

I always try to get new software by download from the US. This works out a lot cheaper, as I only pay the dollar price, and not 2-3 times as much as we are charged here. Problem is that the larger US companies are getting clued up to spotting UK credit card numbers, so you get diverted to paying an inflated Sterling rate plus VAT. If that happens I get a relative in Florida to make the purchase.....

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:

I buy Mac and Adobe software from Amazon, via a link from Macintouch (as they get a commission), and the Amazon/Macintouch price is usually the lowest I can find.

I also buy kitchen tools, music, and occasionally other things from Amazon, as their prices are good and — here at least — the service is superb.

In all the years I have been dealing with Amazon (back to their early days) I have only ever had one serious screwup: a few months ago a large-ish order that included a used book from a third-party seller was duplicated. Fortunately, these were uncommon books, and my first order depleted Amazon’s stock so the repeat set was back-ordered and I was able to cancel it. I did get two copies of the third-party book, but since it cost $3.50 I kept both and gave one to a friend.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:

I don't know how they operate in the UK but here in the USA a lot of the stuff that they appear to sell is actually referred to third party websites and in one experience I had that went wrong I began the order thinking it was being literally supplied by Amazon whom I had bought books from and only found after entering my credit card details that it was being filled by a third party.

The web page I decided to buy it from said it was in stock and I paid overnight delivery because I needed it urgently. When I got the confirmation from the third party it said out of stock with no indication of delivery date.

I raised this direct with Amazon who insisted it was nothing to do with them ......

In the end I got it some 10 days later and they would not refund the overnight delivery charge.

I was not a happy camper!

I believe they may have tidied up their website now to make this more clear but caveat emptor!

PS I thought Dabs begin in Manchester <g>

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:02 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

I think Amazon makes it pretty clear now when a third party is involved. I usually avoid those deals (may as well go direct or somewhere else).

The exception is for used books; I have had good luck with Amazon’s dealers.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:24 AM   #8
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I would still buy books there, and as you say second hand books seem good. I checked my father's books once and they ranged from $1.99 to $200 (the latter his autobiography with a dust jacket designed and illustrated by Ben Nicholson the abstract painter).

Hugh
Old 10-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: a lot of the stuff that they appear to sell is actually referred to third party websites
I really hate that about amazon! I find it really annoying. A few years ago, I ordered something from one of those 3rd party vendors (not a book) and while my experience wasn't even as close to being as bad as yours, I would never order from another amazon 3rd party vendor again with the exception of their used book dealers as I've always been pleased with that service...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #10
Hugh Wyn Griffith

You are not alone!

Hugh