Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2007, 07:13 AM   #17
dthomsen8

Default Indesign vs. PagePlus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
No idea. You need to hear from someone who uses (or has used) both of them.

InDesign is very capable. But what that would amount to in your case (and how much of a learning curve there would be), is another story. None of us ever uses all the functions in these huge apps, including InDesign.

InDesign 3 is priced at $680, and InDesign 2 at $320 at various online software vendors. PagePlus is either free (downloaded) or in any case less than $20 with shipping and taxes as a CD. Same kind of thing happens with Photoshop CS3 versus Paint Shop Pro.

It seems to me that only professionals with a business reason to do so should use the top of the line software for DTP or digital image editing, and the rest of us will do just fine with inexpensive or almost free alternatives.

I have never learned to use many of the features in Paint Shop Pro 8, and in fact I bought PSP 6 from Ebay, because I like it better than PSP 8.

I am considering Serif PagePlus, because I think it would be better than MS Word for preparation of flyers for my civic association. I always have a concern for the learning curve for something new in software, and I am still on that learning curve for Pegasus.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote