DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 09-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
RJ Emery

Default On Forum Changes

It has been about six months since I last participated in this forum. I've noticed some changes for which I don't care:

1) Why is there no button to reply to a message WITHOUT quoting?

2) For initiating new threads or message replies, including quick replies, why is the compose window so small and cramped? It should at least be the width of the window. Instead, the width is just about three inches max, if that. That's too small.

Brother MFC-8840DN Printer/Scanner/Fax
RJ Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Emery View Post
It has been about six months since I last participated in this forum. I've noticed some changes for which I don't care:

There is: "Quick Reply"

Quote:
2) For initiating new threads or message replies, including quick replies, why is the compose window so small and cramped? It should at least be the width of the window. Instead, the width is just about three inches max, if that. That's too small.
That's a known problem that's been extensively discussed. Please add to the data: platform/browser/version? Did you try different browsers? if so, with which results?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
There is, at least in Firefox 2, Netscape Navigator 9, and Safari 2 when using either Hybrid or Linear display modes.

At right in the bottom of a message window you should see Edit, Quote, Quote+, and Quick Reply buttons. Or if you are using Threaded mode (or just prefer), there is a Quick Reply window in its own box beneath the message (you might have to click the corner of the box to reveal it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Emery
We all agree on that. What we don’t know is quite what to do about it.

I can set it to a number of pixels, but then it blows up for people who view a narrow window. The way it is now doesn’t do any damage — it is just nasty-looking.

We are trying to find a solution.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
RJ Emery

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
There is: "Quick Reply"
It wouldn't hurt to add a "Reply w/o Quote" button to be compatible with other BB software and forums.

Quote:
That's a known problem that's been extensively discussed. Please add to the data: platform/browser/version? Did you try different browsers? if so, with which results?
Platform: W98
Default Browser: Firefox 2.0.0.7

I had the same identical unhappy results with:
SeaMonkey 1.1.2
Mozilla 1.7.13
Netscape 8.1.3
Netscape 9.0b1
IE 6.0.2800.1106

Update:
On my Linux SuSE 10.0 system, I had better luck with Firefox 2.0.0.5. The compose window was wider, but not for Quick Reply. Ditto for Kongueror 3.4.2b. SeaMonkey 1.1.4 exhibited the same small compose window as it did under W98.

Last edited by RJ Emery; 09-19-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Additional Information Added
Old 09-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
RJ Emery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
There is, at least in Firefox 2, Netscape Navigator 9, and Safari 2 when using either Hybrid or Linear display modes.

At right in the bottom of a message window you should see Edit, Quote, Quote+, and Quick Reply buttons. Or if you are using Threaded mode (or just prefer), there is a Quick Reply window in its own box beneath the message (you might have to click the corner of the box to reveal it).
With Firefox 2.0.0.7, in Linear Mode, I see the four buttons, and the Quick Reply window is nearly the width of the window itself. So far, so good. However, clicking on any of the Reply buttons results in a cramped compose window again.

Quote:
We all agree on that. What we don't know is quite what to do about it. ... We are trying to find a solution.
Make like Avis.

Isn't this really a v-Bulletin software issue? Then again, maybe not. Other forums in which I participate using v-Bulletin do not have this small compose window problem.

For example, http://www.pprune.org/ uses version 3.6.8, while you use 3.6.5.

(Note: I am an aviation buff, but I am neither a professional nor amateur pilot. PPRuNe is an excellent forum for all self-loading freight types who unfortunately have to fly steerage.)

Old 09-20-2007, 01:17 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
It wouldn't hurt to add a "Reply w/o Quote" button to be compatible with other BB software and forums.
Depends what you want to be 'compatible' with - if at all. Many forums do not have such a thing at all (you always get a quote), or do not even have the possibility to reply to individual posts. There are so many flavors...

If you want a forum, you pick the software that best suits your needs and those of your audience, and put up with small failings; or you write your own software - quite a big undertaking!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote