DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
BobRoosth

Default Retouching needed

I am working on a typesetting job. The client wants this photo used on the cover (letter size), but they want the large tree removed and replaced with the gray sky.
The original is almost 23 mb, so there is plenty of detail.

I have never acquired the fancy selection tools that should make this relatively easy.

What do I need?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoverSmall.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	1060  
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
roaryg

If you don't have photoshop, find and download a free image editing tool off the internet (search in this forum for previous threads on this topic to find a good software). You should be able to take samples from the grey sky and then paint out the tree using the sample colour, and then blur it all to hide any paint marks. If you have photoshop or a more advanced software you can create a path around the sky and the man and then fill it with the grey sample.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
BobRoosth

I am a long-time Photoshop user. The real difficulties come in keeping the guy's hair where it gets wispy and reconstructing the small tree where it crosses the large one. My question about tools refers to the various PS plugins that are available for advanced selection tasks.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
roaryg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRoosth View Post
I am a long-time Photoshop user ... My question about tools refers to the various PS plugins that are available for advanced selection tasks.
Kind of needed to know that at the start. See if this link helps, doesn't need any special plugins. I find with delicate hair I always end up going in and painting or cloning around it anyway.

http://www.planetphotoshop.com/selec...-channels.html

Old 09-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bob: The client wants this photo used on the cover (letter size), but they want the large tree removed and replaced with the gray sky.
Personally, I'd take out the entire backgound and just make the new one neutral rather than just removing the tree...

I'd start with a rough selection using the Lasso tool and then go into Quick Mask (off the Tools list) and refine the mask more closely to the person. I'd probably use a soft brush (rather than a hard edged one) around his head (and probably around the body) to soften the transition between foreground and backgound.

Let me know if you need more details...

I have Corel Knockout which is designed to get the whispies but really, I don't know that you need anything like that as if you are careful, you should be able to do this quite nicely using just the standard Photoshop tools...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:40 AM   #6
LoisWakeman
Staff

The new version of Paintshop Pro advertises that it has the tool to do exactly this.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli.../1185293062156

Otherwise, careful selection and feathering is needed before you fill the b/g.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:12 AM   #7
dthomsen8

Default Another photo?

Why don't they have another photo made of this man? I know you can eventually take out the tree while keeping his hair, but it seems like a lot of trouble, especially for a photo that is to be published in a relatively large size.

I edit real estate photos, but the end result is published online in quite small sizes, so the editing is rarely apparent to the eye. This is quite a different situation.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:03 AM   #8
dogmandouglas

Default sample photos

How about these samples? I first selected the man then inverted the selection. The first photo I blurred the background and in the second I replaced the sky by pasting into the selection.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	man blurred.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1061   Click image for larger version

Name:	man sky.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1062  
dogmandouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:33 AM   #9
dthomsen8

Default Printed End Product

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmandouglas View Post
How about these samples? I first selected the man then inverted the selection. The first photo I blurred the background and in the second I replaced the sky by pasting into the selection.

Doug
The thumbnails look just fine, but when brought up full size, the cropping along his suit and elsewhere can be seen, and in print in a larger size would be even more apparent. A new photo would be better on a printed end product.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:01 AM   #10
dogmandouglas

I agree, but I just knocked those pictures off just to show what could be done. When you get a photo that needs a lot of retouching – it's a bad photo. I think that photo retouching (in the majority of cases) should be limited to minor blemishes. I not counting photos that have been retouched to show the extraordinary as ordinary. I remember seeing a photo of some piebald cows in a field, but when you looked closely at the cows the piebald pattern on the cows was an atlas of the world. Very clever.
Doug
dogmandouglas is offline   Reply With Quote