DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 03-14-2005, 01:24 AM   #1
DTP Guy

Default Acrobat 6 (and 7) use with forms

I've never had to design Acrobat Forms before, but just had a job that required it. The idea is that a questionnaire will be made available to download from a website and the data saved as an .fdf file (form data file, apparently) and that data is returned via email to the author. The idea is that the data is only a few kb rather than the whole PDF file, which can be large(ish).

With Reader versions up to 5, one can simply export the file data to the .fdf file on the user's hard drive and send it as an attachment. With Reader 6 and 7, at least in the free Reader program, you get a message as soon as you start to fill in the form saying that the data cannot be saved locally. What is the scoop here? How can more recent versions of Reader not do something as fundamental as this?

I suspect that Adobe is trying to make a little more money here by forcing users to buy at least the standard version of Acrobat in order to fill in forms.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:56 AM   #2
Michael Rowley

Brian:

There used to be an Adobe program that allowed users with Reader to fill in a form, but it was only supplied to large users (such as the Companies Registrar for England & Wales), but I believe it's now part of Acrobat 7 Pro. The recipient doesn't have to have anything but Reader, but the deviser has to have Acrobat 7 Pro.

Look in the guff about Acrobat 7 on the Adobe site.

Old 03-20-2005, 02:36 AM   #3
DTP Guy

Yes Michael, I checked that out. Is this LiveCycle you are talking about? Looks like I might have to spring for the upgrade to Acrobat 7. Problem is, I got it as part of the Adobe Creative Suite. I wonder if I will have to wait for the next version of the Suite?

Old 03-20-2005, 07:39 AM   #4
Michael Rowley

Brian:

'Is this LiveCycle you are talking about?'

Probably, but the name didn't make much impression: it was the application that I knew as an end-user only.

It would be safer to ring up Adobe Europe about the upgrade from 6 to 7, because I don't know if the v. 6 you have counts.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:37 AM   #5
Stephen Owades

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTP Guy
Yes Michael, I checked that out. Is this LiveCycle you are talking about? Looks like I might have to spring for the upgrade to Acrobat 7. Problem is, I got it as part of the Adobe Creative Suite. I wonder if I will have to wait for the next version of the Suite?
Adobe offers an upgrade to Creative Suite (version 1.3) that contains Acrobat 7; no other changes are involved. I don't know what the UK pricing will be, but here in the US it's the same price as an Acrobat 6 -> 7 upgrade.
Stephen Owades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:26 AM   #6
DTP Guy

Hmm, that's interesting. I'll check out the Adobe UK store to see if they have that deal. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by DTP Guy; 03-21-2005 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Typo <sigh!>
DTP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote