DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 09-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
George

Default Living Will format

So should I do a Living Will as a booklet and put a nice cover on it -- or should I just use letter or legal size paper printed on one side, and also put on a cover, but then fold it???

Hmm--should a person consult a lawyer on a will or living will?? My experience is, that they think they don't get paid enough to waste their time with them, so they add all kinds of conditions to make them complicated and raise the price. Then, years later asking other lawyers the significance of the extra clauses, the interpretation is so ambiguous, that the document seems worthless.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
So should I do a Living Will as a booklet and put a nice cover on it -- or should I just use letter or legal size paper printed on one side, and also put on a cover, but then fold it???

Hmm--should a person consult a lawyer on a will or living will?? My experience is, that they think they don't get paid enough to waste their time with them, so they add all kinds of conditions to make them complicated and raise the price. Then, years later asking other lawyers the significance of the extra clauses, the interpretation is so ambiguous, that the document seems worthless.
We went to a lawyer to have our wills (living and regular) and related documents drawn up. She told us what she would charge (her firm has a fixed price for this sort of work), what she would do, and when, and everything seemed reasonable to me. To begin with, she spent about an hour asking us what we wanted to do and getting other basic information.

The main reason for doing this was that neither of us is a lawyer, and different states have different rules regarding most of these issues. I suppose you could find the information for your state on the web or in a good library, but I would at least recommend doing that much. There are also books from Nolo Press that should explain the basics; not sure they cover each individual state.

The result is a binder with tabs for the documents, and a pocket for some ancillary information. She included forms to be carried to the hospital in case of serious business there, forms to be left in a prominent place in the house in case of emergency, and others to be sent to close relatives, etc. There was very little gobbledegook and no unusual clauses in any of these documents. Some are really short; others have sections explaining slightly unusual things we asked for.

She understood what was required for Connecticut; I am not sure we would have figured out all of it on our own.

We didn’t pick her out of the Yellow Pages, by the way. We got three recommendations from our accountant (who has worked with me for my design business and for Jack and me for something like 25 years), and we visited two of his suggestions before deciding. A good lawyer is a very good person to know.

As for the format, I’m not sure it matters. Use white paper, as some of the forms may get repeatedly photo-copied. And I would use letter size (not legal); that is what our lawyer did, btw.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
As for the format, I’m not sure it matters. Use white paper, as some of the forms may get repeatedly photo-copied. And I would use letter size (not legal); that is what our lawyer did, btw.
That's it. The photocopying. So it should be letter size. Hmm--both sides of the paper is ok, I think. Thank you.

Quote:
A good lawyer is a very good person to know.
But I've had so many bad experiences, that I don't think I could ever wipe out the lasting impressions. I don't think I could ever start fresh again. I do like the lawyers from Alabama -- they're good and even the best, for some reason; must be the schools there or something. I know some others, but they don't live near me. I'll have to think about it. Thanks.

George
Old 09-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Extra *originals* (notarized if need be) of things like power of attorney forms. And leave instructions to whoever you leave behind to get extra copies of the death certificate.

Too many banks and other institutions, though they*should* be satisfied by viewing an original/notarized copy and taking a photocopy for their own records, still demand originals. BT.DT.PITA.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
marlene
Staff

How do you convince a recalcitrant spouse that this stuff needs to be done? <sigh>

And I don't know what provisions to make for my dogs. (I don't know anyone who's equipped to take one of them, let alone all three.) Maybe they could go live with Leona Helmsley's dog.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Extra *originals* ...get extra copies of the death certificate...BT.DT.PITA.
Yep. I have in mind two originals of the living will. I can only do my best and hope. Death certificates can be obtained even years later for a small fee. What is BT.DT.PITA???

George
Old 09-18-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene View Post
How do you convince a recalcitrant spouse that this stuff needs to be done? <sigh>
As far as the living will is concerned, having a close friend, a bit younger, have a life-threatening heart attack or stroke can be very persuasive. Also sort of extreme and not something you can count on, anyway. You can always remind him that if he does not set down his wishes and requirements, some functionary, a stranger, may do it for him.

As far as a will governing the disposition of your property is concerned, depending on where you live, the penalties for dying intestate can be high. Among other things, wills can allow you to optimize things to the extent possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
And I don't know what provisions to make for my dogs. (I don't know anyone who's equipped to take one of them, let alone all three.) Maybe they could go live with Leona Helmsley's dog.
Include a contribution to the rescue place or another sanctuary for dogs, and tie care for your dogs to it.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #8
George

Quote:
As far as the living will is concerned, having a close friend, a bit younger, have a life-threatening heart attack or stroke can be very persuasive. high.
Once I told my wife she should have as much life insurance as I do. About two minutes later, I received an e-mail from a friend relating actual circumstances to the point. So she immediately raised her policy.

George
Old 09-18-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
george: What is BT.DT.PITA???
Been There. Done That. Pain In The Ass...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
marlene
Staff

None of those good and valid points will sway him. I think I'll just find a lawyer, make an appointment, and browbeat Mr. E into going with me.

Quote:
Include a contribution to the rescue place or another sanctuary for dogs, and tie care for your dogs to it.
Excellent suggestion!! There is a rescue organization to which I already donate -- it's a few hours away from here, but it's probably the closest one. Should I tell them I'm going to do that, or let them be surprised? <LOL>

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote