DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
I just bought mine, and got .net and .info at the same time on special.

The number of domain names I now own is creeping inexorably closer and closer to 20.
That's the way it goes with domain names...

Years ago I was reading an article about how nearly all common English words were already snapped up as domain names - they published a list of what was still free (many names not even "common" though still English: you could find them in a dictionary). I was toying with the idea of making a site for my travel photography, and went through the list - many of those that were "free" had already been snapped up by others reading that same article, of course - nothing that was left was remotely fitting for what I had in mind. A phrase was the only solution - but my first attempts still hit existing domain names: "been there", "done that", "there and back again" - until suddenly I hit on "I am back" and it was free!

I registered immediately and parked it, not ready to actually start on that site. I activated it only years later, but am still grateful for that article that prompted me to research then and there and register as soon as I found something absolutely fitting.

I have since gotten into the habit of registering domain names for ideas that may take years to become real - but at least I have those names.

Yes, it adds up. But I won't give them up!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote