DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 09-14-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Domain vendors

I was planning to buy some new domains at Network Solutions (they're on sale for $15 until tomorrow -- talk about waiting until the last minute!), but now I see that other registrars are cheaper.

Godaddy is apparently $9, and I suppose there are many other cheap registrars. Godaddy also offers private registration ($6.99, apparently discounted from their regular price), which is essential.

Private registration is $9 at Network Solutions.

But these price differences aren't really significant -- Godaddy would save me $24 on three domains, which is only enough to buy one good dinner -- and I'm leaning toward sticking with Network Solutions because I already have two domains there and more or less know how to manage them (changing contact info or server addresses or whatever).

So should I stick with Network Solutions, or try one of the bargain registrars? How easy is it to manage domains through Godaddy? Any other registrar recommendations?

I don't want to use the bulk registration that my domain host offers, because they (the host) would have to make any changes -- I wouldn't be able to access it myself.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:52 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I do all my non .au domains through GoDaddy and find them good for this service. You do have to keep focused and click the little buttons or text links to avoid buying all the extra stuff, but managing the domains once you've bought them is easy to do, and they often offer specials and extra years of registration, so you can get some decent bargains if you choose your time.

They do automatic renewals and do them well, and also let you know well in advance when domains are coming up for re-registration.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

I agree with Ann — use GoDaddy. True, their screens are full of options, but there is always a Continue button to bypass all the dreck. Once you have domains with them, you go to your control panel, which is relatively intuitive to use, and control everything — DNS pointing, parking, locking, unlocking, setting up privacy, renewing, and more. And they are very good about reminders.

I just transferred my two Softcomca domains to GoDaddy, which makes them easier to manage.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Default Domain Name Registrars

Marlene,

This has been a frequent topic in this forum, but not recently. Network Solutions has a bad reputation with many web developers, and I would avoid them. They also seem to be a higher price registrar.

We have had past threads where developers have had problems with web hosting companies which were also their registrars. I would avoid that situation, too, in most instances.

I have two small web sites with Godaddy, along with the domain name registrations, with no problem. I also have registrations with Blue Razor, a membership fee Godaddy registrar, which is cheaper than Godaddy if you have a lot of registrations to overcome the membership fee. Godaddy has excellent telephone support, and the only caution I have is to be careful of their numerous add-on offers when registering a domain name or purchasing web hosting. I don't have any domain name registrations elsewhere.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

I use myhosting.com and if I'm remembering correctly, registration is $9.95/year--they are my web host too...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I use myhosting.com and if I'm remembering correctly, registration is $9.95/year--they are my web host too...
That’s the one I just gave up. Not for the price — but because making any change is tedious. You need to contact the host, who gives you information for accessing the OpenSRS control panel. The people at MyHosting were always reasonably quick about it, but it still was more complicated than it needed to be.

At GoDaddy, you just log into your own control panel and make changes yourself.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene View Post
But these price differences aren't really significant -- Godaddy would save me $24 on three domains, which is only enough to buy one good dinner -- and I'm leaning toward sticking with Network Solutions because I already have two domains there and more or less know how to manage them (changing contact info or server addresses or whatever).

So should I stick with Network Solutions, or try one of the bargain registrars? How easy is it to manage domains through Godaddy? Any other registrar recommendations?
I ran away from NetSol when they were shown to use very unfair marketing tactics - scaring people into renewing their domains with them when they weren't even registered with them. Never mind the price (though it adds up when you have a bunch and renew for a couple of years).

I'll never go back to them. GoDaddy are fine, quite efficient, and provide good, to the point, and knowledgeable support. It's hardly imaginable NetSol provide a better product for their higher price.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #8
marlene
Staff

Okay, I'm convinced. I let the Network Solutions deadline pass, and am now trying to finalize my list of new domains to be registered at GoDaddy.

I was going to register three, but with private registration, it adds up to $47.82. If I register five domains, I get free private registration (they have a special deal), so the total would be $44.75, so I'd actually be getting more domains for less money. If my math is correct.

Of course, if I drag my feet too long, the five-domain special might expire, so I should probably get a move on.

I've decided to finally get a dedicated domain just for my business, but can't decide whether to use my full company name with .com, or an abridged name (the first two words only) with .net.

I hate long, unruly domain names, so I'm inclined to go for the shorter one and live with the .net.

Oh, wait, if I'm getting five domains, I can have both and make up my mind which one to use later. <g>

And I could get a domain with my own full name, but I can't imagine why I'd ever need that.

mxh
Old 09-15-2007, 10:58 PM   #9
marlene
Staff

I'm Going with GoDaddy.

Will probably get it done tomorrow before I have a chance to forget.

mxh
Old 09-15-2007, 11:03 PM   #10
marlene
Staff

Network Solutions is definitely more expensive. But I started out with them, and it just seemed easier to renew than to switch.

I'll register my new domains with GoDaddy, but I wasn't planning to use them for web hosting, but I just checked the prices and they seem insanely cheap.

Does anyone know what their size limitation is for incoming e-mail attachments when you use their web/e-mail hosting? (My current web host allows 25 MB attachments, and I've never found anyone else who will permit that.)

mxh