DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 08-23-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Spelling Check

This forum puts red lines under lots of words, including proper names. Is there any way to add to the forum dictionary?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

Are you sure that isn't Firefox doing it for you? V2 has spell-checking built in - so you can right-click the word and choose add to disctionary
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Right Click It Is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
Are you sure that isn't Firefox doing it for you? V2 has spell-checking built in - so you can right-click the word and choose add to disctionary
Right click it is. One more new thing today. Better yet, once added, it works in every forum, not just this forum.

Thanks, Lois.

Last edited by dthomsen8; 08-23-2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 08-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Right click it is. One more new thing today. Better yet, once added, it works in every forum, not just this forum.
It works in every textarea, not just forums Just a pity I can't switch languages - I'd love to have Dutch as well

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
It works in every textarea, not just forums Just a pity I can't switch languages - I'd love to have Dutch as well
If I recall, there is some way to change dictionary languages. When I first installed 2.x my dictionary was in German, and ever word that I typed was underlined in red. I thought it was some strange formatting issue because it clearly didn't seem to be spell checking that I could recognize. Someone suggested that problem was a dictionary in the wrong language, and sure enough, when I switched to English, the red lines went away!

You might try the Dictionary Switcher extension if you regularly switch languages.

Carl
CarlSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:28 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSeiler View Post
If I recall, there is some way to change dictionary languages. When I first installed 2.x my dictionary was in German, and ever word that I typed was underlined in red. I thought it was some strange formatting issue because it clearly didn't seem to be spell checking that I could recognize. Someone suggested that problem was a dictionary in the wrong language, and sure enough, when I switched to English, the red lines went away!

You might try the Dictionary Switcher extension if you regularly switch languages.
Sounds brilliant, but first I had to figure out what dictionaries I have, or how to get more. The options gave no clue (options are really, really bad in Firefox!), but right-clicking on an underlined word did. English only, and a menu item to get more dictionaries, so off I went. Grabbed a Dutch one (three links, for two dictionaries (huh?)), and a German one as well - at which point I was very disappointed to see how small the Dutch one was in comparison. Now I have to restart, install another, restart, install switcher, restart... I'll be back...

Old 08-30-2007, 02:17 AM   #7
iamback

Well, that took a bit of doing, since on the last restart (to finish installation of the dictionary switcher) FF locked up completely - though I could see it appearing in the status bar. It just sat there, three windows, each with a bunch of (empty!) tabs, doing nothing (no CPU cycles at all). So I killed it and restarted - and of course by this time I'd lost my session completely. Good thing I tend to keep bookmark groups for my most important "sets" of tabs. Maybe a few newly-started tabs may be missing, but most of the set will be there.

Back in business now... I'll see how it behaves in practice now - all options switched on (detect as I type, auto-detect, and remember dictionary for site).

Old 09-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
dthomsen8

Default More dictionaries

Dictionaries in the browsers for more than one language is interesting.

I wonder about getting my frequently used words that fail spelling checks, especially proper nouns and technical terms (HTML, ISP, PHP, URL) from one browser to another, and from MS Word elsewhere.

I am typing this reply in Safari, and so far I cannot get it to do a spelling check on this message. Fairmount is in Philadelphia, and we know where the Schuylkill River is. Somehow I doubt that Safari knows those words, but it doesn't do a red underline, at least not yet.

The Edit menu says it is checking spelling while typing, but so far, not so.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #9
iamback

Made good use of the language switcher already, as I used my Yahoo mail account for an email in Dutch.

The "remember dictionary for current site" seems a bit forgetful though... But switching is very easy.