DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 08-31-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Cyranetta

Default I know a Mac is the best answer, but

I have a lot invested already in major software (like the Adobe Creative Suite) for my PC desktop.

I'm interested in getting a laptop for travel and home networking, but all the ads and reviews for laptops emphasize their effectiveness in business or gaming. I haven't yet found a specific recommendation of a laptop model/specs that is geared towards those primarily interested in graphics/desktop publishing.

Is there anyone in the forum who either has an opinion or can point me to an appropriate website?

-rje-
Cyranetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Last weekend I bought a new Lenovo ThinkPad R61. It's got Bluetooth and wireless, 2GB RAM...

My choice of the Lenovo was partly because of my experience with my venerable T22 which has given me sterling service for over 6 years without a hiccup. I think I've had two blue screens of death in all that time.

If the R61 isn't powerful enough for your needs, the T61 may be worth a look.

Mine is still in the box because of the Equine Influenza epidemic, but I hope to set it up today.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Mine is still in the box because of the Equine Influenza epidemic, but I hope to set it up today.
No worries. Computer viruses don't attack horses or vice versa. ;-)

Herself and I each have an R60. Couldn't be more pleased with the things other than the alarming list of processes in task manager. When I get time I'll sort out which of IBM's utilities I want to keep and which go, but since the thing goes like a rocket, there's no rush on that.

www.pptools.com
and stuff

Last edited by ktinkel; 09-02-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
No worries. Computer viruses don't attack horses or vice versa. ;-)
LOL!
Quote:
Herself and I each have an R60. Couldn't be more pleased with the things other than the alarming list of processes in task manager. When I get time I'll sort out which of IBM's utilities I want to keep and which go, but since the thing goes like a rocket, there's no rush on that.
Thanks for the endorsement. I did think about posting in here, but the deal I got was too good, and had to be taken up last weekend because it ended yesterday.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
djb

MacBook Pro. Dual boot between Mac OS X and Windows, or use Parallels to run your Windows apps.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #6
Cyranetta

Many thanks to those who replied. I've always been impressed with the level of discourse in the forum.
Cyranetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyranetta View Post
I have a lot invested already in major software (like the Adobe Creative Suite) for my PC desktop.
No concrete advice, as I have always used Macs, but it strikes me that it would be (a) expensive to duplicate your software and fonts for the laptop if it runs on another platform; (b) confusing for you (and maybe for the files) to go back and forth.

Life is too short to create extra difficulties! I would bet that there are plenty of PC laptops that would do a good job for you, including the Lenovo that Ann mentioned.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
djb

Default There's no reason not to buy a Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Life is too short to create extra difficulties! I would bet that there are plenty of PC laptops that would do a good job for you, including the Lenovo that Ann mentioned.
There's no extra difficulty, Kathleen, and please stop suggesting that there is.

Any current Apple computer, including the laptops will run Windows and Windows software just fine, while offering the strong advantage of OS X as well.

There is no longer a distinction in terms of hardware. Anyone with an investment in Windows software can easily run that software on Apple hardware while gaining all the advantages of Mac OS X.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
There's no extra difficulty, Kathleen, and please stop suggesting that there is.
Sorry — you are quite right, assuming one is willing to set up a Mac to run Windows software. But if the desire is to have a Mac, which implies a Mac running Mac software (else where is the great advantage), how does it make sense to run Windows on it?

So it doesn’t make much sense to me if what you want to do is only or primarily run Windows stuff.

It actually isn’t clear from the original message whether that is the case, however.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
djb

Silly how? Mac hardware is a bargain on a price/feature/perfomance basis.