DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 08-29-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
Bo Aakerstrom

Default Screen resolution?

I am now a very happy owner of a Samsung SyncMaster 1100df 21" CRT monitor.

Whilst it must be one of the fiddliest monitors ever to set up, it was time well spent.

The specification tells me that the maximum resolution is 2048x1536 px, which leads on to my question: for what purpose would someone use that kind of resolution?

Try finding the object handles in Quark for a starter...

I settled for 1600x1280 in the end as it is roughly similar to 1024x768 on my old 17" one now serving as my second monitor.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

"The specification tells me that the maximum resolution is 2048x1536 px, which leads on to my question: for what purpose would someone use that kind of resolution?"

I imagine it'd be wonderful for image editing. But as you've pointed out, the user interface designs of our softare may never have anticipated anything like this resolution.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:28 AM   #3
LoisWakeman
Staff

It's the specifications of my aging eyes that are the main limitations for me! I find I can't read modern monitors set at their max resolutions without taking off my spectacles and peering closely.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:00 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
It's the specifications of my aging eyes that are the main limitations for me! I find I can't read modern monitors set at their max resolutions without taking off my spectacles and peering closely.
Set them to use large fonts, and you get readable text but at better legibility because of the higher resolution. Modern versions of Windows let you choose the font size to match your needs.

Besides which, many programs let you choose font size as well. Pick the highest resolution you can, then choose a font size for legibility: that will get you the sharpest readable text.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:00 AM   #5
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Set them to use large fonts, and you get readable text but at better legibility because of the higher resolution. Modern versions of Windows let you choose the font size to match your needs.

Besides which, many programs let you choose font size as well. Pick the highest resolution you can, then choose a font size for legibility: that will get you the sharpest readable text.
It seems that most of the applications I use do not let me choose at what size the fonts should be displayed.

I know it is possible to set icons to be larger so I might have a fiddle with those and Windows if I get a spare moment.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom View Post
It seems that most of the applications I use do not let me choose at what size the fonts should be displayed.
But many applications (at least the well-written ones) recognize Window's Large Fonts - so try that first!

On Win2K it goes like this (later versions will no doubt have similar choices):
  • Right-click on desktop
  • Properties -> Settings tab
  • Click Advanced... button
  • A new properties dialog appears -> General tab
  • In Display section choose Small Fonts (default), Large Fonts, or other... (the latter pops up a new dialog where you can set a scaling factor)

Harmless to try - you can always switch back to Small Fonts.

Text-centered applications like editors will usually allow you to choose font + size; word processing might allow a scaling factor; Adobe reader lets you choose a scaling factor; decent browsers will let you scale the font (or all, in Opera) of the display area. And so on...

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

On my 19" CRT monitor with the res set to 1152x864, I actually use the Appearance tab (right-click on the desktop > Properties > Appearance) and I walk through each option in the drop down box and reset the font size (in general MS San Serif, 8pt) and sometimes the Size field rather than changine to Large fonts because they are too large (I have it set to Small Fonts)...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

And if the Small Fonts/Large Fonts switch causes problems, you can simply specify different font sizes in (XP) Rightclick desktop, Properties, Appearance tab, Advanced. More or less the same in Win 2k, 98 and 95.

Choosing specific fonts this way doesn't change the underlying assumed DPI of the display sytem, so it doesn't cause problems with apps that aren't written to handle display DPI changes.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote