DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 08-30-2007, 02:39 AM   #11
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
The reply windows became narrow after I changed the default Message Area Width from 540px to 95%. I have just restored the default, and now that I have cleared Firefox’s cache, I am seeing a window of normal width.

That means, on my 850px-wide screen at this moment, the Quote Reply’s inner (typing) panel is about 575px. The panel is now fixed-width, so if you narrow the browser window, you may get scrollbars in the reply window.

(...)

But first, please delete your browser cache. Then say what browser you are using and whether the reply window seems normal. The Quote Reply does for me.
Somewhat wider than it was before, and leaving no margin at the right, in fact it just overlaps the right edge of the box it's sitting in (see screenshot, taken at browser window width of exactly 800px). Usable, but ugly.

Fluid would be better... but if that creates problems, a few pixels narrower would be better, just 10 would do it. In fact, I see it coming in with a good margin on the right (about equal to that on the left! which suggests it is fluid) and then widening to where it overlaps the right edge. Looks like there are conflicting rules in the stylesheet. You might try commenting out that fixed width, and see what happens then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hsnap355.png
Views:	45
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	1048  

Last edited by iamback; 08-30-2007 at 02:40 AM. Reason: attachment disappeared...
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:09 AM   #12
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Fluid would be better... but if that creates problems, a few pixels narrower would be better, just 10 would do it. In fact, I see it coming in with a good margin on the right (about equal to that on the left! which suggests it is fluid) and then widening to where it overlaps the right edge. Looks like there are conflicting rules in the stylesheet. You might try commenting out that fixed width, and see what happens then.
If only I could. The style sheets are inaccessible (and hard to find; and there is also inline styling and HTML in the templates). There is an editor that lists the things vB thinks I should be able to control, and that is what I have been fiddling with.

It may be that the 95% I was using made the box too wide, so it punted. I may try a smaller percentage later, see what happens.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:41 AM   #13
CarlSeiler

I don't understand. If it was 95%, what was it 95% of? It was taking up about 1/3 of my screen, being about 320 pixels wide for the box overall and about 290 pixels for the text input area itself. That's tiny by today's standards. It would be nice to use percent, but actually have it work.
CarlSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #14
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSeiler View Post
I don't understand. If it was 95%, what was it 95% of?
That's the crucial question. If as Kathleen says the code box is 95%, thats' way too wide: it invariably causes a horizontal scrollbar... the quote box on the other hand is correctly sized.

You can't just use "95%" in isolation. AND there are browser difference to taken into account as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSeiler View Post
It was taking up about 1/3 of my screen, being about 320 pixels wide for the box overall and about 290 pixels for the text input area itself. That's tiny by today's standards.
Today's "standards" are no standards, but 800px wide windows are still widely used, and smaller screens are more frequently used (PDAs, phones). That's exactly why fluid is best "by today's standards".

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote