DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
george: I should have been more careful with that bear. Sometimes eclectic jewelry makes me nervous.
LOL!!!

>>I’m actually talking about designing a website that relates to (that is includes, or does not leave out) young people, the new generation.

Please, please, please tell me that you aren't using places like MySpace as an example...eewwwww!!! ughhhhh!!!

>>But there's also this attitude that seems to be prevalent, that complexity has value in itself and creates relevance.

Seduction based on lots of bells and whisltes...

>>I cannot count on immediately bringing people to the realization of the correctness of my viewpoints.

Perhaps it's a question not so much of the correctness of your viewpoint but presenting information clearly and in a way that engages and intrigues the viewer and then allowing the viewer to make up their own mind.

Being hit over the head with a sledgehammer is generally not the way a site endears me to it. It's the clear presentation of information that attracts my eye--no blinking, winking, beeping please...'-}}

>>I have always tried to keep things simple, even to make the complex easy.

If you substitute "clear" or "straightforward" for "easy", that would be my approach also...

>>But if I keep doing that, am I cool, or am I leaving their culture??

I think trying to keep up with the changes in what's cool will make you crazy and it's likely that if you don't stay on top of it, there is a greater chance of looking like an idiot at best and a poseur at worst--imagine a 50 year old dressed in a style of clothing made for a 15 year old...one is dismissed by the adults and by the 15 year old as trying tooooo hard...

>>In that case, while keeping things simple, maybe I should make certain I retain some of what is naturally complex with a good purpose.

Sounds like a plan...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is online now   Reply With Quote