DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 08-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #21
Marilynx

Thank you for all of this -- I probably will change the hyphenation. In point of fact, I have it turned off in word for exactly the reasons you cite. If I really need something hyphenated, I can do it myself.

Control palette? Is that the pages thingie so you can move back and forth easily? Or something else?

Again, thank you. It will be useful to look at your modified file and try to see how this ought to look. I have an image in my head... getting it to come out in PM may be rather more interesting.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #22
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilynx View Post
On the page numbers -- I went with the maximum because what I read in the manual implied to me that you could always remove pages.
You can. But in the meantime you have many, many unneeded pages. I love PageMaker, but she is fussy about junk in the file. It is as easy to create new pages (manually or automatically) as to remove them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilynx
They call for a minimum .5" margin. I thought I set a gutter on the thing, which may account for the wider inner margin. This is to allow for the spiral binding I plan.
Much better to find out exactly what Lulu requires for a spiral binding. They will know it to the millimeter. (How would you “set a gutter” in PageMaker? I know you can do it in Word, but PageMaker expects you to work all that out yourself.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilynx
The headers and footers were supposed to be 12 point Ariston, and normal, not bold type. They weren't supposed to be crowded in on the type area, but I couldn't get them to move.
Ariston is a display font, not text. Books normally use the text typeface for headers or footers, posssibly in a slightly smaller size (and unless it it useful — to make a recipe title easy to find, say — do not have both).

Footers, etc. are text blocks. To move a text block, any text block, switch to the object/arrow cursor; you cannot move things with the text cursor. (There are keyboard ways to switch quickly and temporarily.)

I just took a look at the Lulu and iUniverse sites. Think I will start a thread about POD publishing.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:16 PM   #23
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Control palette? Is that the pages thingie so you can move back and forth easily? Or something else?
No, something else. It normally sits at the bottom of the screen and shows arcane-looking stuff. It uses proxies for page elements or text. Click on something, look at the Control palette, move the thing, watch to see what happens. I especially like it for positioning illustrations or odd blocks of type; changing typefaces or sizes on the fly; and more.

Old 08-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #24
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
Changed size to 12 point, Leading to 18
I noticed that you speak of 18 pt is the 'leading' where we in England would say the body size was 12 pt with 6 pt leading. I know that in practice 12/18 pt is said everywhere, perhaps reflecting the use of Monotype or Linotype, where the type or slug incorporates the leading. So my question is: is the practice of citing the body size plus the leading as 'leading' an American custom or something thought up by programmers?

Old 08-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #25
Marilynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
You can. But in the meantime you have many, many unneeded pages. I love PageMaker, but she is fussy about junk in the file. It is as easy to create new pages (manually or automatically) as to remove them.
Check. All programs do have their fussy points -- and the object of asking here is to find out what they are so I don't inadvertantly step on an electronic land mine.

Quote:
Much better to find out exactly what Lulu requires for a spiral binding. They will know it to the millimeter. (How would you “set a gutter” in PageMaker? I know you can do it in Word, but PageMaker expects you to work all that out yourself.)
Lulu says, "Leave at least .5" margins on all your pages. Most books will require a gutter of .2" to .3". A gutter provides a little bit of extra margin on the spine edge of your pages, making your book easier to read without putting too much stress on the spine. For coil-bound books, the coils bite about 5/16" (8mm) on the spine edge, but we would suggest a gutter of 3/8" (9mm)."

Quote:
Ariston is a display font, not text. Books normally use the text typeface for headers or footers, posssibly in a slightly smaller size (and unless it it useful — to make a recipe title easy to find, say — do not have both).
If you say so. Perhaps these are not correctly laid out, or are old fashioned, or something, but I just pulled out five cook books, and none of them used the text type face for the headers and footers. One used upper and lower case for the authors' names and all uppercase for the book title, then upper and lower case for the section title and page number. Another used the same layout, but with a san-serif font, while the body text was serif. Two used a layout of double line / single line above and single line below the headers and footers, one with bolding and one without. Yet another had a single medium-weight line running across to a reverse text box (white type on black back ground) which had the appropriate text in it.

Quote:
Footers, etc. are text blocks. To move a text block, any text block, switch to the object/arrow cursor; you cannot move things with the text cursor. (There are keyboard ways to switch quickly and temporarily.)
Right. Two cursors. I'm definitely not used to that. That may be what the problem was. Where do I find the shortcuts? <groan> It looks like my book didn't ship until yesterday, so it may be the end of the week before I see it.)

Quote:
I just took a look at the Lulu and iUniverse sites. Think I will start a thread about POD publishing.
That could be fun. BTW, did you send the file? If so, it is apparently wandering around in hyperspace somewhere, since it has not yet arrive here.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:00 PM   #26
Marilynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
No, something else. It normally sits at the bottom of the screen and shows arcane-looking stuff. It uses proxies for page elements or text. Click on something, look at the Control palette, move the thing, watch to see what happens. I especially like it for positioning illustrations or odd blocks of type; changing typefaces or sizes on the fly; and more.
<Doubtful look> If you say so.... I'll have to poke around and see if I can find it.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:26 AM   #27
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
<Doubtful look> If you say so.... I'll have to poke around and see if I can find it.
Window > Show Control Palette.