DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
I am considering switching to Thunderbird Email. I have been learning from the online documentation, but I do have a question. Can I somehow import an address book from Eudora, or is there some other format for importing?

I know it can import from Outlook and Outlook Express, but I have never used those programs.
I have, in fact switched away from Thunderbird, after giving a fair chance for over a year for a small set of accounts. It just doesn't measure up to Eudora and the flexibility and power that provides. I know Eudora will soon have no support any longer. After a lot of reading and research I decided to go with Pegasus - not easy, and it takes a lot of getting used to - but you do get power, if that's what you want. And you can import your Eudora mailboxes.

I'm switching over only gradually - conversion takes an awful lot of time and will necessitate (for me) setting up new email accounts om my mail server as well - but I'm glad to be rid of simple-minded Thunderbird which would never let me move mails from one folder to another without having them pop up in the old location again after a day or two! (I ended up with up to six copies of some emails, and installing a plugin that got rid of duplicates did not help: it found them allright, and provided a handy interface to get rid of the duplicates, but TB would restore them anyway. It was a nightmare, and endlessly frustrating.) And I'm in no hurry - good old Eudora still functions just fine. But TB has no place on my computer anymore. I uninstalled it (something pretty radical for me!).

If you don't have a lot of folders and/or filters, TB may be good enough for you. But if you regularly organize your email by moving stuff from one folder to another, or have a lot of filters, I'd suggest you forget about TB completely and have a real good look at Pegasus. Give it time, to get used to it - you may not regret it.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote