DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 08-15-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

There shouldn't be that much difference between PM 7 and 6.x, should there? Books for the one should suffice for the other w/o any major adjustments.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
Marilynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
I would hate landscape, myself. It tends to flop around, and you really cannot make efficient use of the width if you want to keep the type readable.
Well, I'm inclined to agree with you, because I have a really nice SCD cookbook with fabulous recipes in it, which is about 8" x 10.5" (may be metric as it's printed in a metric country) which I don't use as much as I would like because it has what is for me, an awkward layout. Title in blue in a large sans-serif font. Commentary across the width of the page in black sans serif. Ingredients in blue san serif in a narrow column on the right. Directions in a wider column in a serif font on the left. I love looking through this because it has full-color pictures of how the dish is supposed to turn out with each recipe, yet I don't find myself going to it for something to fix for dinner.

Quote:
That is probably a fluke of the screen. Print some text out to see how they compare. Do you have Century? Or Century Old Style? Century Schoolbook? All different faces. Schoolbook is reminiscent of primer texts, and I think it would be good for your project.
I have "Century." It doesn't say anything else. Can you point me to some examples? I may be able to tell you which it is. There's also something called New Century Schoolbook. <wry grin> I've been collecting fonts as long as I've had a laser printer, ie, about 15 years. "She who dies with the most fonts... is still dead."

Quote:
Any Century (except perhaps Old Style) should be more readable than almost Garamond — and what you have is almost certainly Monotype Garamond, which is among the most spidery of the desktop digital Garamonds.
Just printed out a page with three columns -- the same text, the same nominal size, and with Century, Garamond, and Times-Roman. I'll have to look at it in daylight, but by the light of a 100 watt bulb, the Century is certainly less cramped, but it's also decidedly less dark than either the Garamond or the T-R. Less cramped, I acknowledge, is a good thing, when you're going to be leaning across a counter squinting at the thing.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:57 AM   #13
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

You want New Century Schoolbook. Century is a bit light for your purposes.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:27 AM   #14
Marilynx

Quote:
You want New Century Schoolbook. Century is a bit light for your purposes.
Hmm, yes! The difference between the two is pretty amazing, even on screen. Interesting, though, that there's anywhere between six and nine lines of text difference between the amount of text which fits, depending on which font. I could probably get used to the New Century Schoolbook...

Old 08-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #15
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
There shouldn't be that much difference between PM 7 and 6.x, should there? Books for the one should suffice for the other w/o any major adjustments.
There is very little difference between 6.5 and 7; quite a bit between 6 and 6.5; and lots before those and PM 5.

Unfortunately, so far the only books I can find were for PM4 and PM5, but I will keep rumaging.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:16 AM   #16
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilynx View Post
Hmm, yes! The difference between the two is pretty amazing, even on screen. Interesting, though, that there's anywhere between six and nine lines of text difference between the amount of text which fits, depending on which font. I could probably get used to the New Century Schoolbook...
You can probably equalize things by reducing Schoolbook by half a point size.

For readability, you also need to allow decent leading. Depending on the width of your text column, perhaps 1-1/2 times the type size.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #17
Marilynx

Quote:
You can probably equalize things by reducing Schoolbook by half a point size.

For readability, you also need to allow decent leading. Depending on the width of your text column, perhaps 1-1/2 times the type size.
I don't actually want to go to a smaller font. I do notice that the kerning on the Schoolbook is significantly wider than either the Garamond, or the Times-Roman, as is the leading. The font itself isn't actually larger. I don't think this is a problem -- I just have to overcome my tendency to view Times-Roman spacing as "normal" and the others as "too wide."

Old 08-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #18
terrie
Staff

Quote:
marilyn: There's also something called New Century Schoolbook.
As I mentioned in my post to KT, I used that particular font a lot when I was writing course/workbooks for the computer classes I taught when I worked for Unisys...I really liked it a lot...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:34 PM   #19
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilynx View Post
I don't actually want to go to a smaller font. I do notice that the kerning on the Schoolbook is significantly wider than either the Garamond, or the Times-Roman, as is the leading. The font itself isn't actually larger. I don't think this is a problem -- I just have to overcome my tendency to view Times-Roman spacing as "normal" and the others as "too wide."
You will turn me into a pedant: “kerning”?

You mean the natural letter-spacing in the font? New Century Schoolbook is old enough (in desktop digital terms) to have only minimal kern pairs.

May I suggest that as soon as you get PageMaker: you set up the pages (text column width, margins, etc.) and then set the text in one, two, or three fonts that you think might work. Use neutral text (I like to use the opening to Chapter 2 of A Room With a View, myself — good simple English so you can see how it looks), print it out, and see how it works.

Another useful font, btw, is Utopia (Adobe). Very readable, sturdy, etc.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:01 AM   #20
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
Another useful font, btw, is Utopia (Adobe). Very readable, sturdy, etc.
Yes, and Adobe has a Pro version in OTF; and now an Open Type version of Imago, which is often cited as an excellent serifless typeface to go with Utopia, has been announced (that's not Adobe).