DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 08-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
mikluha

Question Laser printer: HP vs Xerox

Hello, everybody

We need new color laser printer to print newsletters, fliers, brochures, etc
Currently we use HP Color LJ 8500 and we have Xerox 8200 (Solid inks - no matter what they say about solid ink technology I love the quality and "feel" of solid ink prints).

We use mostly HP for larger volume printing. It's reliable and consumables/drums/etc are somewhat inexpensive from eBay. However, I see some problems with it:

1) Too slow. I don't need 35 color ppm, but "grandfather"-8500 is slow. And it's slow to warm up. Realistically, it takes 30 min to warm it up to start printing (we have to use small Samsung laser printer to print "quickies"). After it starts, HP 8500 can print whole day long. It rated 6 ppm, so it gives me in real life 2-3 pages per minute (I use duplex). I'd like to have something faster.

2) I think newer laser printers provide much better quality and colors.

3) Too fussy. Don't like Florida high humidity, etc. I don't like high humidity either, but I don't require extra AC next to me. Xerox 8200 never complained (it maybe different technology, though)

4) We have problems with glossy paper. although, it's maybe problem with paper and HP-brand works fine. haven't tried it.

We'd like to replace HP 8500. Since I have both Xerox and HP, I narrowed my choice to HP vs Xerox. So, my question is. Which printer is better (we need tabloid format) in terms of:

a) Colors - we use Quark -> PDF -> printer, MS Word and I'm playing with Scribus
b) Reliability
c) Consumables

So, I'm looking into HP 9500 (ouch, price is $$$) or HP 5550 or Xerox 7400, 7300 (7300 is obsolete, but I can buy used one, which is perfectly fine with me, if it's a good printer). I think Xerox 7760 is beyond our level, but I still like to hear opinion.

They both have network and duplex. Also, I noticed HP has only PS emulation and Xerox is true PS printer. What is the difference in real world? Some of my computers have Linux, so I need PS. Xerox offers Linux driver.

I appreciate everybody who read my post and provide some info.

Thanks,
Mike
mikluha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Hi Mike...welcome to the forum...

I am clueless when it comes to color lasers (I use an inkjet for color printing--an Epson 4000) but I know that a number of people on the forum have them so hopefully they will pop in soon to comment...

That said...have you checked out what Minolta (QMS??) might have to offer as I remember reading good things about them...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:22 AM   #3
Benwiggy

Xerox are expensive - but you get what you pay for.

PostScript support is a plus; but HPs have good PS emulation (which just means they don't pay Adobe for the licence) and I've rarely seen them choke on PS.

I've had a nightmare running a Samsung off my Mac, even after buying their PS emulation chip.
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
Franca
Staff

We will be buying a new printer soon and it will most likely be an HP. We will never buy a Xerox again, for reasons too numerous to elaborate here.... We've been pleased with all of our HP printers and service (when needed) is much cheaper and easier to get than service on Xerox printers, at least in our area.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote