DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 08-10-2007, 07:04 AM   #1
LoisWakeman
Staff

Default Giant desktop problems

I have recently bought a new Dell desktop machine to replace my ageing DIY model. (In time to get it with XP, thankfully.)

However, about 50% of the time when it boots, the desktop is about 40% bigger (in both dimensions) than the monitor, so you have to slide the mouse about to pan it. Usually, a restart cures it - but if I'm doing a lot of photo editing, this is just plain annoying to have to do, not to mention seasickness-inducing!

I can't find anything in the monitor settings that helps, and the DPI value and resolution are reported as what I set.

The card supports a second monitor (ATI Radeon x1300 pro), but it doesn't think the second one is active.

Any ideas? Google was not my friend in this instance.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Did you call whoever sold you the machine? Even if this is a feature, it is one you decidedly do not want and did not anticipate, so perhaps they will give you a more suitable display.

Good luck with it. Sounds seriously annoying!

Old 08-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
lois: the desktop is about 40% bigger (in both dimensions) than the monitor,
Ewww...ick!

It sounds like a video card problem...have you tried opening the box and making sure the card is seated properly--it's unlikely this is the problem but I'd start there anyway.

Have you checked the Dell site to see if there might be newer/different drivers for the video card--Dell often uses proprietary hardware so I wouldn't use the video drivers from the card maker's site without checking with Dell first...

It also might be something hinky with the video/monitor cable--are you sure it's seated properly and that the cable hasn't gone bad?

I run W2K so I don't know much about XP but I wonder if there might be something odd in your user settings???

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

This used to happen to me with my old Mac, but only if I forgot to turn on the monitor before turning on the Mac itself. The monitor was a Sony, i.e. not a 'native' Mac monitor.

AT work, this doesn't happen with the HP machines, all of which have HP monitors (two in my case).

Old 08-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
roaryg

Did you try adjusting the settings on the monitor itself? The little buttons down at the bottom right usually of the monitor. With a new system I get my video card settings right for colour depth etc. using the windows video control panel, and then fine tune the display position and size with the monitor hardware control.

With my latest LCD big screen I had to manually enter its unusual size (900x700 if I remember correctly) into the ATI video driver, and then it worked.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:16 AM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaryg View Post
Did you try adjusting the settings on the monitor itself? The little buttons down at the bottom right usually of the monitor. With a new system I get my video card settings right for colour depth etc. using the windows video control panel, and then fine tune the display position and size with the monitor hardware control.

With my latest LCD big screen I had to manually enter its unusual size (900x700 if I remember correctly) into the ATI video driver, and then it worked.
No video card in my Mac, and no need for one.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:32 AM   #7
dthomsen8

Default ATI Radeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
The card supports a second monitor (ATI Radeon x1300 pro), but it doesn't think the second one is active.

Any ideas? Google was not my friend in this instance.
Do you have an "ATI" icon on the lower right, down with the clock? When your screen comes up incorrectly, click on that icon and see what it says. It should show you the screen settings as the video card is using them, and allow you to change them. At least, it does on my computer. This is just a hint, Lois, I am not at all sure that it will help, but it might be a clue.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:04 AM   #8
LoisWakeman
Staff

Ah - that may be it. I'll see if that helps.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:05 AM   #9
LoisWakeman
Staff

I am not sure if it allows enough latitude Tim. This isn't just a slight mismatch - but about 40%!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:07 AM   #10
LoisWakeman
Staff

The monitor didn't come with the CPU unit; I am using the latest video card drivers that came with the CPU three weeks ago, and the latest IIyama driver I could find on the manufacturer's site. Will look on Dell's site to see if they have any thing - I doubt it, as the monitor is quite old, though very good.