DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ashlie: Does anyone know if the photographer is correct? So far in my experience, as long as the image itself is large, 72 dpi is ok for print. I am thinking that maybe the printer isn't as knowledgeable as he tries to appear but I really don't know...any advice or input?
Actually, on level they are both correct but the printer is not interested in doing what he considers your work for you...sooo...at Kathleen suggested, you need to go in and resize the image...

Personally, I would not UNcheck "Resample Image" option for two reasons:

1. You are reducing the image size so you will not lose any pixels by having resamping checkmarked

2. There is more flexibility in leaving resampling checkmarked

Here is what I would probably do:

1. Open the file in Photoshop

2. Image > Image Size

3. With resampling checkmarked: enter 300 in the Resolution area (since that is what your printer wants)

4. Enter "4" in either the "Height" box or the "Width" box (basically, enter "4" in whichever field has the smaller value. The other field will be automatically filled in with the appropriate value to maintain the image proportions--see note below

5. Click on the "OK" button

6. File > Save As to a new file name--don't overwrite your original file!!!

Note: if in step 4, entering a "4" does not give you a "6" in the other field, then you will need to play with the sizing. What I often find works is to make the image a little bit bigger and then crop or select the image size I want:

1. Use the Crop tool--fill in the "width", "height" and "resolution" (use 300 there) at the top of the screen to 4x6 or 6x4--as appropriate

2. Or use the Rectangular Marquee tool--change the "style" field at the top of the screen to "Fixed" and then enter the width and height as appropriate--then ctrl-c to copy the selection and then New > File and paste...

Hope that helps...let us know if not...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote