DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 07-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
jgr

Default Recreate effect with CSS?

I'm webmaster of a small family genealogy website and need to try to recreate the main page (www.pamunkeybakers.com) using CSS. It's now plain HTML using tables. I've never understood the basic theory behind doing in CSS what you can do with a table. Is there some good explanation of how to accomplish this that I can look at? Thanks.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgr View Post
I'm webmaster of a small family genealogy website and need to try to recreate the main page (www.pamunkeybakers.com) using CSS. It's now plain HTML using tables. I've never understood the basic theory behind doing in CSS what you can do with a table. Is there some good explanation of how to accomplish this that I can look at?
Take it "outside in" and draw some boxes. On paper! Something like:
Code:
+----------------------------------+
|                                  |
|+---++---------------------------+|
||   ||                           ||
|+---++---------------------------+|
Recognize your page? in HTML that structure becomes:
HTML Code:
<div id="header">
</div>
<div id="body">
    <div id="sidebar">
    </div>
    <div id="content">
    </div>
</div>
Put some dummy content in first. Then you use CSS to lay out those boxes - the only trick here is to get the content to appear next to the sidebar - there are plenty of CSS examples out there for this simple structure.

Then "pour" in your content - even if maybe some parts still use (nested) tables now (side bar? I didn't look at your source). Next you tackle those tables. For instance, your sidebar would simply contain a number of menus, each of which you can mark up as an unordered list - it could even become one nested list of lists. Once you have the structure right, then you use CSS to style those. Again, many examples out there.

This just gives you a general approach from how to get from a table layout to a structure HTML + CSS markup.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:52 AM   #3
dthomsen8

The website now has beautiful graphics, and the source has comments and also CSS for purposes other than layout, all of which is very good.

Suggestions: be sure to specify character encoding, and use the same DOCTYPE on every page. Marjolein has given you a good start on the layout. Let us know how you are doing.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
I'm webmaster of a small family genealogy website and need to try to recreate the main page (www.pamunkeybakers.com) using CSS. It's now plain HTML using tables. I've never understood the basic theory behind doing in CSS what you can do with a table.
The DTP Forum Web Home is similar to what you plan (organizationally, I mean). You could look at that and grab the CSS to see how it goes together.

Do you have the Web Developer plug-in for FireFox? It has some good tools for troubleshooting pages as you work (and for analyzing those you happen to see). I find the CSS > View Style Information and the Information > Display Element Information tools to be especially useful. (You select one of those options and then select an element on the real page.)

You can also grab the source or validate HTML or CSS from items in the menu with that plug-in.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
jgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
This just gives you a general approach from how to get from a table layout to a structure HTML + CSS markup.
That helps a great deal, thanks. One problem I can't grasp is in getting the left sidebar background image to work. I used the following:
Code:
#sidebar {background-image:
url('left1bg.jpg');
background-repeat: repeat-y}
But I think there's something I'm missing -- a padding command or something -- because it doesn't repeat vertically in a solid unit; it shows, then there's white space, then it repeats.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:23 AM   #6
jgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Do you have the Web Developer plug-in for FireFox? It has some good tools for troubleshooting pages as you work (and for analyzing those you happen to see). I find the CSS > View Style Information and the Information > Display Element Information tools to be especially useful. (You select one of those options and then select an element on the real page.)
I do, but haven't used it nearly as much as I should. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
jgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
The website now has beautiful graphics, and the source has comments and also CSS for purposes other than layout, all of which is very good.
Now if I could just understand the layout bit! As in (for example) how you get one div to be right up against another div so there's no gap in the graphics!

Quote:
Suggestions: be sure to specify character encoding, and use the same DOCTYPE on every page.
Oh ouch... I hadn't noticed that. Will do, thanks.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
I think there's something I'm missing -- a padding command or something -- because it doesn't repeat vertically in a solid unit; it shows, then there's white space, then it repeats.
Did you set the img to have margin: 0; padding: 0; ?

That little problem catches me so often that I sometimes start the style sheet by zeroing out margin and padding for everything (p, img, a, li, you name it).

That lets me see how things look without. If I later decide that I actually want a little padding or margin, I can specify it exactly, for that element within a div of ID #X, for example.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
jgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Did you set the img to have margin: 0; padding: 0; ?
Not yet... (I have to update the site tonight using the existing code; I'll keep working on the CSS conversion afterwards...)

Old 08-01-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
...use the same DOCTYPE on every page...
This is strictly speaking not neccessary since it relates to the code on the page it is on. Although it is a good idea to stick with a Strict DTD when starting from scratch.

Joe Clark (who knows a thing or three about compliant web pages) is writing about that here under the heading "Start off with DOCTYPE".

This page (from Apple) about best practices is a good place to start as it is a little easier to digest than W3C's information.