DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 07-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
ShelleyWynn

Default Best inkjet for printing artwork - Under $300

I'm looking for a good inkjet printer that I can use to produce prints of my original artwork (watercolor, pen & ink). I also create projects that require very clear and precise typeface, so I'm considering a postscript printer. I will be using PhotoShop CS2, Illustrator, InDesign for my projects. To complicate things even more, I really need a wide-format printer. And all this for under $300.00.

If I don't buy a PS printer, I guess I can use one of the PS interpreters like GhostScript, but I've had a hard time understanding how that all works or if it would be worth the trouble.

Please help!!
ShelleyWynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyWynn View Post
I'm looking for a good inkjet printer that I can use to produce prints of my original artwork (watercolor, pen & ink). I also create projects that require very clear and precise typeface, so I'm considering a postscript printer. I will be using PhotoShop CS2, Illustrator, InDesign for my projects. To complicate things even more, I really need a wide-format printer. And all this for under $300.00.

If I don't buy a PS printer, I guess I can use one of the PS interpreters like GhostScript, but I've had a hard time understanding how that all works or if it would be worth the trouble.

Please help!!
I am not a printing maven, but I suspect you are asking for way too much for the money. Further, if you find a cheap inkjet that meets even half your requirements, the ink replacement costs will kill you.

I would suggest getting Acrobat and then you obviate the need for a PostScript printer (as it interprets PostScript for you). But Acrobat itself is expensive. (Perhaps $400 or more — I have not checked.) But your should be able to get a better deal when you update PhotoShop, Illustrator, and
InDesign, however.

I will leave it to our printer experts to advise you on the right printer. Just a couple of thoughts.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:07 AM   #3
ShelleyWynn

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks so much for the thoughts.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:53 AM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

<< If I don't buy a PS printer, >>

If you are using Windows I've an idea that VISTA handles PS inherently but you may have to manually install the fonts -- some question of PS using two files for each font and Windows is not used to that?

Can't remember where I've seen this discussed recently -- if not here then one of the Compuserve forums or even a VISTA newsgroup.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
shelly: To complicate things even more, I really need a wide-format printer. And all this for under $300.00.
What exactly do you mean by "wide-format"?

My Epson 4000 inkjet is considered a wide-format and it prints 17" wide and you won't find anything that size in your price range (even on ebay) but it's a wonderful printer and I use it to print all of my artwork--you can see the sort of work I do at my website. I also have an HP2200D laser printer (1200dpi, postscript, duplex) that I use for most of my other printing.

There are also 13" wide Epson inkjets and if 13" wide would work for you, then you might consider:

1. Epson Stylus Photo 1400 - I don't know anything about this printer...I think it may be new but the price is certainly in your ballpark at $324 (after a $75 mail-in rebate--normally sells for $399)

2. Epson Stylus Photo 1800 at $549

3. Epson Stylus Photo 2400 at $849

Also take a look at the Clearance Center > Inkjets at epson.com (this is the link to the US site) as they have a refurbished Epson Stylus Photo 1800 for $349 which is a good deal--I've purchased Epson refurb's and can recommend them--and they also have a refurbished Epson Stylus Photo 2400 for $599...

Also check ebay...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Syllables

This is considerably out of your $300 restriction (which I personally think you should abandon): go someplace that has an HP B9180 you can print your stuff on. We have been an Epson shop for years, but the B9180 is the first printer that has EVER made me gasp. It is known to misbehave, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
syllables: go someplace that has an HP B9180 you can print your stuff on. We have been an Epson shop for years, but the B9180 is the first printer that has EVER made me gasp. It is known to misbehave, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Thanks so much for mentioning this printer...found a good review at Luminous Landscape and I'm impressed...the biggest problem with the HP printers was that paper choice was pretty much restricted to HP papers but that is not the case with this printer...definitely one to put on the possibles list...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
Syllables

I have been, frankly, astonished at how forgiving the B9180 is to different papers. We recently did a run on Red River's GreenPix and use Moab's Entrada regularly. I can't say that our customers are the most discerning, but I've been in the business long enough to be able to see a bad print across the room. Yes, there were slight shifts here and there, but one customer said the print was better than the original, and he's a professional photographer.

As you can tell, I'm totally impressed with the B9180.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #9
ShelleyWynn

Default Refurbished printers - Any experience???

Still looking at printers. What has your experience been or what do you know about purchasing refurbished printers? I tend to shy away from anything other than lightly used or new. I'm sure I could save some $$$ going the refurbished route, but unsure of reliability.

What do you think???

Shelley
Old 08-03-2007, 08:09 AM   #10
curveto

Location: some room with white padded walls ... now surrounded by Saguaro Cacti

I'll have to agree with Kathleen (i.e., get Acrobat Pro) and then throw in Epson Stylus 3800 (my personal favorite is the 4800 but that's nowhere near $300). If you already have other, modern Adobe apps (e.g., CS or better) you may not need Acrobat (for most work).

Haven't seen the new HP (but they have been making great strides of late).

Make sure you do a little math regarding cost of operation. Like razor blades that's where the *real* expense is when it comes to printers these days (cheap or otherwise).
curveto is offline   Reply With Quote