DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default Photo inserts

I tried to insert a photo into a message, but it seems to want a URL and not a local image. Must I first publish an inserted photo to a web site, and then use the URL for the insert?

I used an attachment, instead, but an insert might be better.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
I tried to insert a photo into a message, but it seems to want a URL and not a local image. Must I first publish an inserted photo to a web site, and then use the URL for the insert?
I believe so, but will try to see how to work around it.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
iamback
Member
 
iamback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 4,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
I tried to insert a photo into a message, but it seems to want a URL and not a local image.
I believe that's how vBulletin works: for an embedded image you need a URL - whether a "local" (to the forum) one from a previously uploaded attachment or one on an external website - it needs a fully-qualified URL.

   
__________________
Marjolein Katsma
Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces (soon!), My ArtFlakes shop and Flickr.
Occasionally I am also connecting online dots... and sometimes you can follow me on Marjolein's Travel Blog
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
I believe that's how vBulletin works: for an embedded image you need a URL - whether a "local" (to the forum) one from a previously uploaded attachment or one on an external website - it needs a fully-qualified URL.
That is certainly true for us, but there is an option to show attachments in-line within a post.

But: “Enabling this option makes for convenient viewing of attached images but also increases the load time of threads with lots of attached images, increases bandwidth usage, and increases server resource usage when a user loads a thread with lots of attached images.”

We could allow it only when there is a single attachment as a halfway measure. But I think we need to do some tests before enabling even this.

I sometimes just throw an image onto one of my sites in order to include it here, but then I either have to keep it there indefinitely or delete it from the message if I don’t (and I need to keep track of or remember what I did with what where and when!)

Since attachments do not depend on an outside server, allowing in-line attachments might be a good idea if not over-used. But need to figure out what it could cost.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default Image upload for inclusion here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
...
I sometimes just throw an image onto one of my sites in order to include it here, but then I either have to keep it there indefinitely or delete it from the message if I don’t (and I need to keep track of or remember what I did with what where and when!) ...
I could do that, too, but your point about remembering what you did is a very good one. Perhaps I should stick with attachments, which seem to work fine.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,947
Default

Quote:
kt: I sometimes just throw an image onto one of my sites in order to include it here, but then I either have to keep it there indefinitely or delete it from the message if I don’t (and I need to keep track of or remember what I did with what where and when!)
I finally created a folder in my domain space called "lists" and that's where I upload extraneous images which makes it easier as all of them are in one place...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
Daudio
Member
 
Daudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Royal Oak, Detroit suburb
Posts: 174
Default

KT,

Quote:
I sometimes just throw an image onto one of my sites in order to include it here, but then I either have to keep it there indefinitely or delete it from the message if I don’t (and I need to keep track of or remember what I did with what where and when!)
I have a seperate directory on my website where I throw images that people want to post on my phpBB forum, keps them seperate from my site content, and easily addressable.

I'm still waiting for phpBB ver3 to go production, instead of moding my version 2.x forum with the Attachment mod. I thought it would come last fall, but has been well over a year now... And they changed the whole styling concept, so my favorite template is obsolete.

Ah, open source !!

   
__________________
Dave

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio View Post
I have a seperate directory on my website where I throw images that people want to post on my phpBB forum, keps them seperate from my site content, and easily addressable.
I usually do the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio
I'm still waiting for phpBB ver3 to go production, instead of moding my version 2.x forum with the Attachment mod. I thought it would come last fall, but has been well over a year now... And they changed the whole styling concept, so my favorite template is obsolete.

Ah, open source !!
It has been a long time! Kelvyn really seems to like phpBB 3). I must say that it sounds good: XHTML 1 Strict and CSS compliant. According to its web site, they are now at RC 4, “meant to become the Gold release if no more bugs or problems arise.”

I would always hold out for threading (at least), and I guess all old mods are obsolete with the new code. But a fresh start may energize development (maybe even make it easier — who knows?)

So maybe it won’t be too much longer.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photo copyrights marlene General Publishing Topics 17 11-24-2006 04:40 AM
Need help using color photo as a screen StarStuff Images 6 08-21-2006 03:02 PM
My very challenging photo JVegVT Images 7 11-27-2005 03:47 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.