DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 07-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
czarredd

Default InDesign or Illustrator?

I'm going to be making some church bulletins. 8.5x11 folded to 5.5x8.5.....Which program should I use and why? Thanks alot!!!
czarredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarredd View Post
I'm going to be making some church bulletins. 8.5x11 folded to 5.5x8.5.....Which program should I use and why? Thanks alot!!!
InDesign is intended for this sort of work. Among other advantages, text will be able to flow from page to page.

You could do it in Illustrator, but it will take more effort and be more difficult.

Do you plan to reproduce these from your laser printer? Or to send them to a commercial printer?

Old 07-20-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
czarredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
InDesign is intended for this sort of work. Among other advantages, text will be able to flow from page to page.

You could do it in Illustrator, but it will take more effort and be more difficult.

Do you plan to reproduce these from your laser printer? Or to send them to a commercial printer?
I will be producing from my laser printer? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 07-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
I will be producing from my laser printer? Any suggestions? Thanks!
It is fairly easy to make this sort of four-page booklet in InDesign.

To create it, set up a new file, with these settings:
  • # of pages: 4
  • page size: letter-half (w=33p0 or 5.5 in; h=51p0 or 8.5 in.)
  • margins: set all to 2p0 (or .25 in)
  • # of columns: leave it at 1 (you can change this for any page)
When you finish that, you will be presented with a single blank page in the middle of your screen with the margins indicated. That is page 1, the cover of your booklet. (You can see all four pages in the small diagram at top right of your screen, or by scrolling down to see the other working pages.)

This is called the readers’ layout — the pages are arranged on the screen the way you would see them in the real booklet. (See the attachment.)

Then you set the type, add images, whatever you need to do to create your booklet.

When you are finished, go to the File menu > InBooklet SE and make these settings:
  • Layout: margins same as in layout (2p0 or .25 in)
  • Bleed: 0
  • Printing: no printers’ marks; no offset (0); wt, leave at .25pt.
  • Preview: You should see p 4 (back) next to p 1 (cover) in the first frame; scroll over and see p 2 (inside) next to p 3 (inside). The booklet is now in printers’ layout.
  • Click on Create new document.
Then you can print the printers’ document, using duplex if your printer supports it, and get your booklets. All you will need to do is fold them.

(If you do not have duplexing on your printer, you will have to print a stack of the first side, then place those in the paper drawer — carefully, so the heads of the small pages are at the same edge of the paper — and print the other side.)

Does this help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	id_layout_4pger.png
Views:	77
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	995  

Old 07-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
czarredd

Quote:

When you finish that, you will be presented with a single blank page in the middle of your screen with the margins indicated. That is page 1, the cover of your booklet. (You can see all four pages in the small diagram at top right of your screen, or by scrolling down to see the other working pages.)

This is called the readers’ layout — the pages are arranged on the screen the way you would see them in the real booklet. (See the attachment.)

Then you set the type, add images, whatever you need to do to create your booklet.

When you are finished, go to the File menu > InBooklet SE and make these settings:
  • Preview: You should see p 4 (back) next to p 1 (cover) in the first frame; scroll over and see p 2 (inside) next to p 3 (inside). The booklet is now in printers’ layout.
Then you can print the printers’ document, using duplex if your printer supports it, and get your booklets. All you will need to do is fold them.

(If you do not have duplexing on your printer, you will have to print a stack of the first side, then place those in the paper drawer — carefully, so the heads of the small pages are at the same edge of the paper — and print the other side.)

Does this help?
WOW!!! You definitely need to write a book. I'm a reference book reader, but I have never seen instructions so clear and right to the point. Your amazing! Thanks so much!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
WOW!!! You definitely need to write a book. I'm a reference book reader, but I have never seen instructions so clear and right to the point. Your amazing! Thanks so much!!!
Gee, thanks!

Come back and let us know how it goes.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
czarredd

Quote:

Does this help?
I'm using InDesign CS.....I'm ready to print the booklet and don't see the InBooklet SE under the file menu. I don't have this plug-in and need a work around to print this booklet. Thanks!

Last edited by czarredd; 08-22-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
I'm using InDesign CS.....I'm ready to print the booklet and don't see the InBooklet SE under the file menu. I don't have this plug-in and need a work around to print this booklet. Thanks!
I looked into this and find that the only way to get InBooklet for InDesign CS is by means of the plug-in pack for the InDesign CS PageMaker Edition). I believe it costs something like $50 for registered owners of InDesign CS.

The InBooklet plug-in was originally sold directly by developer A Lowly Apprentice. The company was acquired by Quark, and Adobe licensed the InBooklet plug-in and has been distributing it with InDesign CS 2 and 3.

There are other possibilities. For one, check out forum member Dave Saunders’ JavaScript ‘Build Booklet’ script for use with InDesign CS (scroll down to Featured Scripts and click on the second item).

Old 08-24-2007, 04:03 AM   #9
Benwiggy

If you're on a Mac, there are several shareware/freeware PDF booklet makers.
My favourite is CocoaBooklet. Drop a PDF on it, and it will make booklet impositions in a new PDF document.
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote