DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 07-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Virus Consequences

My wife's WinXP Home computer was infected with a virus, PMpatch, and the AVG virus checker detected the infected modules and moved them to a virus vault or deleted them.

I am supposing that the deletion of these modules means that the underlying programs won't work. For example, PicasaMediaDetector.exe and Nerocheck.exe are among the modules that were deleted. I suppose that the proper response is to reinstall these two programs. I would post the screen capture, but I don't think attachments work yet.

Am I correct in my suppositions? No, I don't have backups for this computer, but I think maybe I should start doing that, too.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
My wife's WinXP Home computer was infected with a virus, PMpatch, and the AVG virus checker detected the infected modules and moved them to a virus vault or deleted them.

I am supposing that the deletion of these modules means that the underlying programs won't work. For example, PicasaMediaDetector.exe and Nerocheck.exe are among the modules that were deleted. I suppose that the proper response is to reinstall these two programs. I would post the screen capture, but I don't think attachments work yet.

Am I correct in my suppositions? No, I don't have backups for this computer, but I think maybe I should start doing that, too.
A more rigorous approach would be to backup all data, wipe the disk clean, and reinstall windows from scratch. Before you do that (or decide to do that or not), it would be a good idea to run a complete scan (all files, not just "executable" files!) with not just AVG but another virus scanner as well - one may find what another doesn't.

How on earth can a computer get infected when you have anti virus installed that obviously is able to detect it? Double check your setting to see whether it's set to be able to catch the nasties before they actually infect.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> How on earth can a computer get infected when you have anti virus installed that obviously is able to detect it?

Hmm. OK, how about this:

- New virus is released, spreads quickly
- Virus attacks your computer
- AVG hears of the virus, releases update that can detect it
- You get update on your computer, AVG does a scheduled scan and reports the infection

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
dthomsen8

Default Plausible scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
>> How on earth can a computer get infected when you have anti virus installed that obviously is able to detect it?

Hmm. OK, how about this:

- New virus is released, spreads quickly
- Virus attacks your computer
- AVG hears of the virus, releases update that can detect it
- You get update on your computer, AVG does a scheduled scan and reports the infection
That seems like a plausible scenario to me. AVG does not provide any information about the virus in its references, but I am not sure what that means. Perhaps I should be asking AVG about it.

This is my wife's computer, and she plays games, gets lots of email, and goes to web sites I would never stumble upon.

I did manage to install a new ATI Radeon Xpress 200 driver, dated 2007, but it was not an easy job. I downloaded on my own computer and transferred the downloads to her computer using a USB flash drive.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

If most of her usage is internet/mail with little or no installed software, you might want to get everything sorted out and set up to taste, then make a disk image with Disk Image, Ghost, Acronis or the like.

Then you could just wipe out the infected system and revert to a known-good image at any time later.

She'd lose any new bookmarks/emails and such since the most recent image was taken but that's about all.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #6
George

Quote:
Perhaps I should be asking AVG about it.
Good luck!! I had the paid version, but getting technical support turned out to be very technical. And other technicalities started, so I went to Antivir/Avira. And I don't have to pay for it, as a non-profit. It's rated safer, but I always wonder who gets paid to write the reviews. So far it works smooth.

http://www.free-av.com/

It has a technical support forum.

http://forum.antivir.de/index.php

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:17 AM   #7
iamback

Quote:
Are you sure it was called that? The only hit Yahoo! comes up with when I search for that name (+ virus / infection) is your post here!

If the files were moved to a vault, scan them with another virus checker (like the excellent free AntiVir) and see what that comes up with.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:54 AM   #8
dthomsen8

Default Vault, then Deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Are you sure it was called that? The only hit Yahoo! comes up with when I search for that name (+ virus / infection) is your post here!

If the files were moved to a vault, scan them with another virus checker (like the excellent free AntiVir) and see what that comes up with.
AVG moved the infected files to a "vault" and then deleted them. I ran a complete test with the AVG updates this morning, and no problems were reported.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:58 AM   #9
dthomsen8

Default Installed Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
If most of her usage is internet/mail with little or no installed software, you might want to get everything sorted out and set up to taste, then make a disk image with Disk Image, Ghost, Acronis or the like.

Then you could just wipe out the infected system and revert to a known-good image at any time later.

She'd lose any new bookmarks/emails and such since the most recent image was taken but that's about all.
She has MS Office 2003 installed, plus some games and a Spanish tutoring program. I have not had any virus infections after the first one, but I am running the AVG virus checking program and looking at the results.

Perhaps I might try one of the other "free" virus checking programs being suggested here.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #10
iamback

Quote:
AVG moved the infected files to a "vault" and then deleted them. I ran a complete test with the AVG updates this morning, and no problems were reported.
Weird, normally there is a choice between moving to the vault OR removing (or even attempting to "heal"); what's the use of moving to the vault first and then removing? If that was a configuration choice, I'd suggest it's not a good one: it won't give you the chance to re-scan with the same or another program: false positives can and do occur.