DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 06-29-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Learning PHP and MySQL

I recently asked in a thread about WordPress whether my 2003 copy of Larry Ullman’s Visual Quickstart Guide to PHP and MySQL, which covered versions 3 and 4 of both those languages, was too old to be useful.

Since there is other interest in this topic which could be getting lost there, the advice below is quoted from iamback’s reply to that query:

That's pretty old. But I wouldn't get a new book - just check every function etc. online for whatever is new in the version you have.

You need to know, of course, what version of each you're actually running.
  • PHP documentation is here: http://php.net/manual/
    Also don't miss http://php.net/urlhowto.php which explains the many shortcuts you can use (from the examples given there you can even omit the 'www' - just type something like 'php.net/echo' in your browser to get to the documentation page for 'echo' - this is also the format that should be used when pointing others to documentation so they'll get it automatically from a local mirror and in their own language)
  • MySQL documentation is here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/ - see the links in the sidebar for docs for specific versions
Both now have user comments on their pages (PHP has had them for a long time, MySQL is more recent), which can contain some real gems - don't miss them!

Old 06-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
iamback

Ahh, thanks for digging that up!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
I recently asked in a thread about WordPress whether my 2003 copy of Larry Ullman’s Visual Quickstart Guide to PHP and MySQL, which covered versions 3 and 4 of both those languages, was too old to be useful.
I often (in fact usually) prefer starting off with the older editions on computer stuff. The later editions can be like going to high school before primary. If I didn't find old and outdated copies of the 10 minute guides to HTML and CSS to start off with, I would have been slowed down for a long time.

I think this is the updated version

George

Last edited by ktinkel; 07-01-2007 at 06:40 PM. Reason: work around the url bug
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #4
iamback

Quote:

Since there is other interest in this topic which could be getting lost there, the advice below is quoted from iamback’s reply to that query:
{OT} Oh, darn, there we have it! A nice curly quote being mangled. Doesn't look like it's going to repair itself though...

Old 07-02-2007, 12:08 AM   #5
DTP Guy

Just recently, Lynda.com has posted a new title called PHP with MySQL Essential Training at this link: http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/m...ID=435&ref=swf

I am going through this tutorial (need to get up to speed) and the great thing is that Kevin Skoglund (the trainer) uses a Mac for this training! He also covers the installations of the necessary bits on Windows too and mentions where there may be differences in the two OSs as he goes.

His style is very easy and he really knows his stuff.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:22 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
{OT} Oh, darn, there we have it! A nice curly quote being mangled. Doesn't look like it's going to repair itself though...
Sigh. I am looking for a global solution; just need more than two minutes to do it, and my days seem to be cut into two-minute segments this week.

Wednesday is Independence Day; I loathe Wednesday holidays everything is crazy for a whole week instead of just a couple of days. And we are to have house guests.

But it turns out that WordPress users have been having a similar problem, and it is from having two different encodings called out in different places. I am trying to see if that is our problem. Hope so.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Okay, now I have it fixed.

The old errors seem to have gone away, but special characters entered during today are showing up as question marks. Sigh. Those I will fix, since most are mine. (Can’t help myself — been a typesetter too long!)

Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Okay, now I have it fixed.

The old errors seem to have gone away, but special characters entered during today are showing up as question marks. Sigh. Those I will fix, since most are mine. (Can’t help myself — been a typesetter too long!)
I just noted that the subtitle for the "Introduce Yourself" forum now has acquired some question marks... maddening, isn't it?

Old 07-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
I just noted that the subtitle for the "Introduce Yourself" forum now has acquired some question marks... maddening, isn't it?
Yep. Those I will certainly fix. Thanks.

Interesting, right after the move the em dash in the header was gibberish, so I fixed it, in that case by using the numerical entity. That survived.

Same day I fixed the Introduce Yourself subtitle but used the keyboard shortcuts, mostly out of curiosity. Those failed to survive. Ah, well.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
iamback

Quote:
Interesting, right after the move the em dash in the header was gibberish, so I fixed it, in that case by using the numerical entity. That survived.

Same day I fixed the Introduce Yourself subtitle but used the keyboard shortcuts, mostly out of curiosity. Those failed to survive. Ah, well.
Well, it seems we're getting there now!

(I've done so much beta testing ... I almost automatically fall into that role again!)