DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 06-26-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Cheapo web hosting?

In a temporary fit of misguided goodwill, I have offered to set up a web site for my high school's 40th reunion. (I don't know why nobody on the reunion committee -- of which I am NOT a member -- hasn't done it. Don't any of these people have teenaged children??)

I could probably just use some of my own web space, but I was debating the pros and cons of actually acquiring a domain name and setting up a new web hosting account. It might be a colossal waste of time and money, because after the reunion fervor dies down, the site will probably stagnate (and eventually be allowed to die a dignified digital death).

The main reason I hesitate to use my own web space is that I will probably offer to post reunion photos on the site after the event and it could take up a lot of space.

The reunion's in August, so I don't have a lot of time to vacillate. Can anyone recommend a really cheap -- but still relatively reliable -- source of web space? FWIW, I can get something like 30 MB for $92 a year at Alien Creed.

TIA,

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:20 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

A Small Orange offers 45MB for $25 a year. I have one of those.

Or you could register through Go Daddy and get their free web site. I'm not sure how much space you get for that, although I also have a couple. I also have a cheap hosted site there for $3.95 a month.

Both are pretty reliable for uptime, and while ASO has a fairly clean interface, you do have to be very focussed to get through the GoDaddy pages. They are currently offering .info domains for 99 cents a year, and you can register for a few years at a time, so you could potentially get a domain name and ad-free hosting for five years for a very few dollars.

But they'll harass you several times a week with offers.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:42 AM   #3
CarlSeiler

I have two things done through Godaddy. One is just a domain registration, and I host elsewhere. I don't get any promotions from Godaddy, other than "newsletter" that seems to come irregularly, but I'd say it's about quarterly. I may have been extra carefully in opting-out.

The other one is hosting plan that was arranged by my wife, so I have no idea if she gets "offers." Given the price and service, I'm fairly happy with how things are going so far. They are currently offering 5Gb of storage for $3.59 a mo when you buy a year.
CarlSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:09 AM   #4
CarlSeiler

One option you might consider is sdf.freeshell.org. I don't know if it will work for your needs, but I don't think you can beat it for "free" hosting. Good uptime, committed community of users. Ssh shell access and SFTP, mail etc. You get a subdomain like http://username.freeshell.org/ but you could register a domain someplace cheap and redirect it using something like ZoneEdit's free service. Freeshell gives you 80Mb of disk space, but that's pretty good for a free service with no banners. It's supported by donations. I sort of think of it like public radio…it's a user supported unix system funded by members like you. To actually get the web site activated, you do have to give a one-time $1 donation. This keeps the spammers out. Lifetime hosting for $1 isn't bad.

Carl
Old 06-27-2007, 06:19 AM   #5
dthomsen8

Default Harassed by GoDaddy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
... you do have to be very focussed to get through the GoDaddy pages. They are currently offering .info domains for 99 cents a year, and you can register for a few years at a time, so you could potentially get a domain name and ad-free hosting for five years for a very few dollars.

Yes, you do have to be careful at the GoDaddy web site when purchasing or renewing domain names, because they provide a lot of offers before you get to the final payment page. It seems to me that I remember that they had an "expert" option to duck some of those pages when registering a domain name, but maybe they took that option out.

I have a very small hosted web site there very cheap, and they don't harass me with offers. Perhaps if you ask them to cut the offer emails, they will do so.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:48 AM   #6
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Perhaps if you ask them to cut the offer emails, they will do so.
I'm pretty sure you can opt out of their stuff, and there used to be a way to get in touch with Bob Parsons, and he at least pays lip-service to anti-spam. I was actually surprised when he sent me personal email awhile back when I posted a response to one of his blog entries on anti-spam legislation.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:58 AM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Maybe not quite as cheap as Alien Creed, but:

http://myhosting.com/WinHosting/basic.asp

They may have a discount for paying by the year rather than per month.
Includes a web album for your photos, 2GB of disk space / 30GB transfer.

I've been using them for the bike ride site for the last couple of years. No problems so far.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

I use myhosting also--their basic plan at $9.95/month--and have been very pleased with them...I also setup my sister's domain there--she just uses their mail option...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Only if you want to! I'm not harrassed at all. Just go into your account settings and turn it off.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

They also have a mail list setup that's simple to use, though in Marlene's case, it might run into some money. For 30 people it's free but it adds up after that. Pity ... it'd be handy for getting the word out to reunionistas.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote