DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 06-22-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
CarlSeiler

Default unexpected T_STRING in line 1

I have created a new page, which I expect to eventually have to add some dynamic content to. In anticipation of this, I've given the page a *.php extension. Currently there is no php in the file. I uploaded the file to the server, and when I visit the page, I get an error stating "Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/content/O/p/e/OpeningDoors05/html/fraud-alert-en.php on line 1"

I haven't been able to figure out what this error means exactly, but after reading several posts by others with similar messages, it seems to frequently occur when people have unbalanced quotes. I'm reasonably certain that my quotes are balanced, and the document is valid XHTML.

What I've found is that if I convert it over to HTML 4.01 with Tidy, and get rid of my <?xml line it works--the server shows the page. Does php not like XHTML with the ?xml at the top?
CarlSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
Barrie Greed

Default Short tags conflict with xhtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSeiler View Post
What I've found is that if I convert it over to HTML 4.01 with Tidy, and get rid of my <?xml line it works--the server shows the page. Does php not like XHTML with the ?xml at the top?
Basically yes. PHP can be set up to use short tags <? ?> as well as the normal <?php ?>. When you use this with xhtml, PHP trips over the opening <? of the xml definition.

You can turn short tags off in the Language Options section of php.ini.

Barrie Greed
Barrie Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Greed View Post
Basically yes. PHP can be set up to use short tags <? ?> as well as the normal <?php ?>. When you use this with xhtml, PHP trips over the opening <? of the xml definition.

You can turn short tags off in the Language Options section of php.ini.
Thanks. Easily explained. Now, I just have to find out if I have any such control over the php.ini, which I don't think I do. The hosting was arranged through GoDaddy by someone else.

Carl
Old 06-23-2007, 12:36 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSeiler View Post
Thanks. Easily explained. Now, I just have to find out if I have any such control over the php.ini, which I don't think I do. The hosting was arranged through GoDaddy by someone else.
The setting variable in question is short_open_tag which according to this page has a configurable setting of "PHP_INI_PERDIR"; that means you cannot set it dynamically from a script, you can set it only in php.ini, .htaccess or httpd.conf.

Now on GoDaddy you're unlikely to have access to your own php.ini, and unless you have a VPS you won't have access to httpd.conf either. That leaves .htaccess - so you need to find out if your hosting allows you to create .htaccess files (and if the server's Options are set to AllowOverride - otherwise you still can't specify it there).

If you can, you need to create a .htaccess file in the relevant directory (or topmost directory) and add this line to it:
Code:
php_flag short_open_tag off

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
If you can, you need to create a .htaccess file in the relevant directory (or topmost directory) and add this line to it:
Code:
php_flag short_open_tag off
Thanks for the exact wording, Marjolein. I think that may be my only option at this point, and I can't recall if I have control over the .htaccess file or not. Otherwise, I'll just keep things without the <?xml if I'm expecting to use php. I see that XHTML 1.0 at the W3C site says:

"An XML declaration is not required in all XML documents; however XHTML document authors are strongly encouraged to use XML declarations in all their documents."
Carl
Old 06-24-2007, 03:16 AM   #6
Barrie Greed

Carl

You can always use the PHP Manual alternative suggestion of using PHP to print the xml declaration:
<?php echo '<?xml version="1.0"?>'; ?>

Barrie Greed
Barrie Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:03 AM   #7
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Greed View Post
<?php echo '<?xml version="1.0"?>'; ?>
Duh! Thanks! That's so obvious, but I was thinking so inside the box, I wasn't even thinking of using php to solve my problem.