DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
iamback

Default Font named "clean"?

Although that question seems to belong in the Fonts & Typography section (and could indeed be placed there) I decided to put it here since it originates from a site design/styling matter.

SmugMug have recently started to use some of Yahoo!'s User Interface components. The first thing they did to enable that was to include the YUI core stylesheets which consist of a set of four stylesheet files, starting with fonts.css. (Which has some nice principles though I don't particularly like Yahoo!'s implementation, but that is beside the point.)

In the YUI fonts.css file, you find font family declarations like this:
HTML Code:
select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,helvetica,clean,sans-serif;}
Now "arial,helvetica,sans-serif" is a triplet that should be familiar to everyone who's ever created a stylesheet. But what is "clean"?

I tried some Googling but came up only with fonts with "clean" as part of the name. Then I remembered the new Microsoft fonts all have names starting with a 'C' so I looked up the thread here about that (they start with 'Ca' or 'Co', it seems - but I did find again the mention of the compatibility pack that's supposed to include them).

So what is 'clean'? A Linux font, maybe?

The reason I'm asking is I want to override that (and other) font family declaration(s) with my own; but I need to decide whether or not to keep "clean" in there.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote