DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 06-15-2007, 04:48 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Where are you located?

As we get new members in the forum, I sometimes write to them by private message, asking them to update their profile with their location. That can be vague, like "South America" or fairly specific, like "Philadelphia, PA 19130," but the location is sometimes important, like the discussion of standard paper sizes, and always interesting.

So, if your user profile doesn't have a location, it would be nice if you would update it for the benefit of the other forum members.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:59 AM   #2
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
As we get new members in the forum, I sometimes write to them by private message, asking them to update their profile with their location. That can be vague, like "South America" or fairly specific, like "Philadelphia, PA 19130," but the location is sometimes important, like the discussion of standard paper sizes, and always interesting.

So, if your user profile doesn't have a location, it would be nice if you would update it for the benefit of the other forum members.
Dave,

When I first got a computer, I debated in the forums. People would make countless posts to me just for the sake of expressing deep hatred (not liking my positions), and they would badger me unrelentingly to reveal my location. I didn't like it. There was a high profile, international lawyer who debated on my side. He advised me to never reveal location or any personal information on the internet period. I have made exceptions, but it's rare. It seemed like good advice to me.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
He advised me to never reveal location or any personal information on the internet period. I have made exceptions, but it's rare. It seemed like good advice to me.
George, that is sound advice, and something I have told to my children. I think just knowing the country or region is more than sufficient. Those of us marketing their own businesses may wish to be locatable, but this is not without potential hazard. Identity theft, stalking etc are all too common.

Looking up my own name on Google I see that even my old "work" address is now available on-line; some research papers we published nearly 20 years ago have been made available in pdf format.....

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
dthomsen8

Default My Own Name on Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
Looking up my own name on Google I see that even my old "work" address is now available on-line; some research papers we published nearly 20 years ago have been made available in pdf format.....
Looking up my own name on Google, together with Philadelphia, produces a lot of online references to me, including my home address. I have a listed telephone number, I own a house, and I am a registered voter, so there are plenty of ways for anyone to learn a lot about me on the Internet, and even more through public document sources on paper or microfilm. It is absurd to think that I could keep my name out of Google at this point, or to keep anyone so inclined to learn a good deal of public information if they wanted the information.

Admittedly, I have an unusual name for this part of the country. Searching on "Charlie Brown" (of Peanuts fame) or "Charles Brown" more formally, let alone names like Jones and Smith, might not make for much specific information.

My point is that I did say give a location as vaguely or as specifically as you, the forum member, think is appropriate. If the place is given as Virginia and the name is George, then nothing specific is learned. I have been using my own name here, and maybe I should not have done that, but so far there have been only pleasant consequences.

Of course, I should say to George that I have a very vague ID on a local blog where politics and other controversial matters are discussed, and I do try not to let my identity out in that context, out of the same concerns that he mentions.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote