DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 06-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
Franca
Staff

Default Voice recognition software for Mac?

I've just had an inquiry about voice recognition software from a Mac user. Reviews of Dragon Naturally Speaking are excellent but it appears to be Windows-only. Is there a comparable bit of software available for the Mac?

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
I've just had an inquiry about voice recognition software from a Mac user. Reviews of Dragon Naturally Speaking are excellent but it appears to be Windows-only. Is there a comparable bit of software available for the Mac?
I'm on Windows, but I did try Dragon after hearing reviews were good. Yuk, yuk, yuk, it was terrible. I wonder who pays who for these reviews. Maybe, it was my system then or I did something wrong, but you might want to get some actually known person opinions first. I threw the software in the trash.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Take a look at these:

Mac OS X ships with Speech (voice recognition) built in and a utility called VoiceOver ships with the OS. (Look for Speech in the System Preferences; VoiceOver is in the Utilities library.) I have never played with them, so cannot vouch for them, but it might be a good place to start.

Giving OS X a Voice,” MacWorld article on the current (Tiger) version of VoiceOver; and “Leopard First Looks: Universal Access,” on improvements expected this fall with the next major OS X update.

IBM ViaVoice for OS X from Nuance ($124, which includes a noise-canceling headset)

iListen from MacSpeech ($200–$300, depending on type of headset)

Old 06-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
Franca
Staff

Oh, thank you! I'll pass this info on.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Franca
Staff

Hi, George,

Just curious - how recently did you try the software? I've heard plenty of opinions similar to yours but they were all from several years back. I was hoping perhaps the technology had improved since then!

Old 06-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
George

Quote:
Hi, George,

Just curious - how recently did you try the software? I've heard plenty of opinions similar to yours but they were all from several years back. I was hoping perhaps the technology had improved since then!
Not recently. I mean I bought the software, and I let it lay around forever before I used it -- which is always a habit of mine. I still have programs from years ago that I have not tried. (I bought some fire protection boxes awhile back for the software, and I was shocked to see that I needed three of them. Where does all that software come from? But the fire boxes do at least get it all organized and in one spot))

I use ViaVoice, which works very well for me, primarily because I've had so many years of voice updates. However, after I bought my version, I saw on TV that Carnegie-Mellon University was working on research that was soon going to set new standards in the software to enhance quality. I respect anything that goes on at Carnegie-Mellon, so I wonder just what happened to their work, if now there is a product that reflects the results of their studies. But for me to use something new, I think there would only be an advantage if I could transfer a very detailed already established voice model.

But I do recommend voice recognition for writing, as it lets so much of the unconscious come into what is created, that is really quite an enhancement. It just compliments the unconscious factor so well, that there is nothing like it.

George
Old 06-12-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Not recently. I mean I bought the software, and I let it lay around forever before I used it -- which is always a habit of mine. I still have programs from years ago that I have not tried.
A habit I am all too familiar with, I'm afraid. I have shelves of programs I've never installed....

Quote:
I use ViaVoice, which works very well for me, primarily because I've had so many years of voice updates. ... <snip>
Oh good, that's one of the ones Kathleen listed as being available for Mac OSX.

Quote:
But I do recommend voice recognition for writing, as it lets so much of the unconscious come into what is created, that is really quite an enhancement. It just compliments the unconscious factor so well, that there is nothing like it.
That's an interesting view of it - I hadn't thought of that!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
djb

If you do a search on Google Groups for "Mark Conrad" and "voice recognition" you'll find far more about the various packages than you want. If anyone remembers "Gerald Smith" from the Compuserve Mac forums, he's now "Mark Conrad" on usenet, and still as bizarre as ever...
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
If you do a search on Google Groups for "Mark Conrad" and "voice recognition" you'll find far more about the various packages than you want.
Ah ... well, I'll be brave and have a look anyway. Thanks!

Old 06-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
George

Franca,

A good microphone means a lot. I would get the best one you can find.

Also, I noticed in going to a computer with a better sound card, that made a difference.

And, using a speaking voice based on optimum pitch is significant.

George