DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 06-10-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default What percentage of your visitors are robots?

It seems that around 60% of my visitors these days are robots, which has to skew the statistics.

I sell advertising on some of my pages, and am wondering what other people do about the effect of robots on their statistics when selling advertising space. I should say that the advertisers I attract are happy to advertise because they know that their potential customers visit the site, but there is this little ethical bug that tells me I should qualify any traffic statistics if asked about actual figures.

What are your robot statistics, and what do you tell your customers?

Old 06-11-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
It seems that around 60% of my visitors these days are robots, which has to skew the statistics.
Visitors, or page views, or hits?

My guess is page views: a bot requesting 10 pages is still one visitor, but generates 10 page views. A human visitor requesting 10 pages also generates 10 page views, but (unlike the majority of bots) many more hits since the browser would also request linked stylesheets and javascript files, and likely images as well: each request the browser sends to the server is a hit.

Quote:
I sell advertising on some of my pages, and am wondering what other people do about the effect of robots on their statistics when selling advertising space. I should say that the advertisers I attract are happy to advertise because they know that their potential customers visit the site, but there is this little ethical bug that tells me I should qualify any traffic statistics if asked about actual figures.
A good statistics program will be able to filter out (most) bots from the results, and also give an idea of "unique visitors" as opposed to page views by applying a time window. If you're quoting figures to potential advertisers you should at least filter out bots (that a statistics program knows about or can be taught about).

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:37 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

The servers I use have the Awstats log file analyzer installed. This shows page views by bots and "real" users, which sometimes is quite revealing. For example, me web company site gets 2-4 times more bot views that client views, while a tourism directory sees twice as many real views than bots.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I use Summary, and it differentiates between bots and real visitors (this is how I know the figure for the bots) and also between visits and hits. It also gives me the number of unique visitors.

I suppose I just have to do the division when calculating the real number of visitors.

Fortunately, vBulletin tells me how many members visit my forums every day, and I can use those as well if necessary, as all the ads are on forum pages.

I was just a bit surprised to find that the robots had reached such a high percentage.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #5
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
The servers I use have the Awstats log file analyzer installed. This shows page views by bots and "real" users, which sometimes is quite revealing. For example, me web company site gets 2-4 times more bot views that client views, while a tourism directory sees twice as many real views than bots.
Yes, mine have too. I also have Summary installed, which gives me statistics over a longer period. While I like the AWStats, they start again every month.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
While I like the AWStats, they start again every month.
While that does allow month to month comparison it is not optimum. I also routinely download the server logs of the sites I am marketing and run them through Weblog Analyzer Pro. That enables me to do proper month on month comparisons.

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Old 06-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
DTP Guy

Have you tried Google Analytics, Kelvin? Really good information and it can de looked at it many different ways - including setting up pages for just a specific project on your site.

The downside? A small piece of Javascript code on each page you want to monitor.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:13 AM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTP Guy View Post
Have you tried Google Analytics,
Yes, I use it on most sites that I promote using Adwords campaigns, mainly because it integrates nicely with the Adwords tools, although being JavaScript based it won't work for browsers with JS turned off. I also don't think the Analytics stats on their own are as good as those obtained running the server logs through Weblog Analyzer, but it is a free service. I did have a problem a while back with page loading times being increased due to the call to Google, and I can see that this is still happening periodically.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #9
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
I did have a problem a while back with page loading times being increased due to the call to Google, and I can see that this is still happening periodically.
I see this very frequently in sites I visit; so I won 't put that code on any page of mine - at least not until I stop seeing it regularly.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:48 PM   #10
DTP Guy

Hmm. I have seen the page load increase too - but not usually as a result of calling Google; more because of a call to an ad server somewhere.