DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2007, 05:22 AM   #1
ss2003

Default Advice Needed on How to Begin DTP Project

I have been working the last 12+ years for a very small company that creates and publishes Bible study training material and study books. We have a series of books - 11 in all, that we've published and had printed in Singapore, Africa, etc. I began this job back in the days when there was PageMaker 3.02. I had to scan text into the computer, then lay it out in PageMaker to get it into the file types that were desired. All of our work is taken in book form to many different countries over the world, it has been translated in many different languages -- basically by some lucky soul that has a desire to 'help out'. I have had no desktop publishing experience other than having to learn by the 'seat of my pants', so it has been a real experience for me.

Today we are finding that many service bureaus are phasing out the PageMaker program we have used for years, and switching to InDesign -- which, we have currently switched to.

Generally, our DTP files are given to someone in another country to translate for us. I want to set myself up so we won't be having a lot of font issues for people who have only a PC computer, who possibly can't afford to switch to Mac. I don't want to make two versions of the projects (one for PC, one for Mac)...so what I'm planning to do is transfer all the files into InDesign, and re-link/assign the fonts. Currently, there is a mix of fonts I have used - mostly PS, but there are a few TT fonts.

Do/will the TTF's work on PC's - and not have to 'cross platforms'?
Should I change everything to Open Type Fonts to avoid future problems?
If I use Adobe PS fonts, will I still need to supply the PC folks the PC Adobe Fonts?

My job right now it to transfer all our books into InDesign and make PDF's of the books to put on the Web. I need to have a copy of something to submit to future translators, so they will get the InDesign copy, upgrade to InDesign, or just continue to use the old PageMaker program and make their own updates.

Previously, we had given the translators a copy of our files, and they have typed on top of the documents/made a new version to put the info into their language.

I need to find a solution that will give me the easiest way to make this compatible for most translators. Maybe my boss should really be telling these folks...sorry, but we only provide MAC documents -- and stop trying to accommodate everyone.

I went through the days of taking my Mac files and at one time converting everything to PC -- this took a lot a time, and it was double the work if I ever had to edit stuff.

What would you suggest to make my job easier? If I switch all the fonts out, then I'm in the situation where I'm almost re-laying the project out. Wherever I begin, right now I'm making the first steps and I want them to be easy ones with the less hassel. We want something that will carry us over into the future well for many years.

Last edited by ss2003; 06-08-2007 at 05:27 AM. Reason: typo 1st line, of course!
ss2003 is offline   Reply With Quote